Cipralex...

Postby Sammy123 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:22 pm

I hope all goes well to. Took my first pill and now I have a 1 hour drive to the city for my appointment. Not sure if the pill is making me so shakey and nauseaus or if it is just anxiety. Figured what better time to take my first pill then right before my appointment. Will let you know how everything goes tonight and thank you everyone for being so supportive. Hugs...
Sammy123

Likes Received: 0

Postby jensin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:40 pm

Sammy,

Hi again. I did not realize that the treatment dosage was that much. Cipralex comes in alot smaller mg ...i think the maximum is 20 which i am on 15. My doc wants me to go to 20 but it makes me too tired, exhausted all the time....even from the moment i wake. But i do add that it has been the best AD that i have taken and i have gotten the best benefit from it. I hope it works the same for you.

Also, hope you and your psych. can accomplish with the rewind technique. It really is good info that Briary suggested. Good luck at your appt today. Let us know how it goes.

Jensin
jensin

Postby Sammy123 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:20 pm

I think after today I will be going to a lower dosage, I am very tired and sort of feeling a bit of confusion, but I can't sleep because of some of the side effects. My psychiatrist was extremely interested in the Rewind Technique and is going to research it. He is great. Well my doctor got a first hand look at me and side effects. He couldn't believe it, he said "10 mg. is so low, you shouldn't be like this," then he talked about possibly lowering it. Got a call into him, the way I am right now, I wouldn't even considered getting behind the wheel of a lawnmower. :cry:
Sammy123

Postby stormduck » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:26 pm

I haven't read the whole of this topic, only the last few posts, but felt it important to reply to sammy123. I have been on cipralex for 18months. I started taking my 10mg pill at night. It was fine for a few hours of sleep, and then i woke up, my leg was shaking uncontrollably and i felt dizzy and exhausted - extremely strange - and if it wasn't for that fact i was so exhausted by my depression i would have possibly stopped taking it through fear. But i'm so glad i stuck it out....it took i would say two weeks to get over the brunt of the side-effects. I would be wide awake in the middle of the night, eating cheese sandwiches and watching tele! Then exhausted throughout the day - allsorts of strange stuff - BUT IT GOES! I don't think you will be able to carry on normal everyday life during these side effects. I had to stop any consideration of going to uni. But once the pills started working (6 weeks for their full effect but still felt better a lot sooner) i felt much much much much better, trust me.

And my doctor probably would say the same thing - he is not clued up about it at all. Don't worry though.
stormduck

Postby Sammy123 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:59 pm

Thank you for the words of encouragement and basically telling me like it is. Right now I feel so rotten and lost a whole day to feeling so sick I could barely function. But the funny thing is if I didn't try the Cipralex and give it a good try, I would still loose my days to depression. I think maybe I will stick with the mornings and lower the dosage. Nights are hard enough now, but I have everyone here to talk to and just maybe I can fight a little harder dealing with the side effects. Right now, I can barely see, concentrate and feel so sick I couldn't eat much supper and yes, there is a part of me that wants to just stop the medication and live my life like it has been. But I will try. Hugs...
Sammy123

Postby briary » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:23 pm

Hi Sammy

It is great that your psychiatrist is doing some research into the rewind technique. I hope he is able to find you someone who is experienced in using this technique, as it could well help you with the PTSD.

Seems like you have a psychiatrist who is really willing to go the extra mile to help which seems to be so rare these days.

Karen
briary

Postby Sammy123 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Yes, my psychiatrist is a very rare individual. There have been weeks where I was in such bad shape that he would call every night to check on me, even though he works long hours and has a family. He is very supportive and understanding and the best thing is he is non-judgemental. He said that he actually knew one of the names on the Rewind Technique page and he is going to get on the net and do some research. Thanks again for the information. Hugs...
Sammy123

Postby stormduck » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:51 am

sammy - no worries, what you're feeling will not last long and you'll feel a lot more able to cope with things.

I will say one thing though, if you do still feel awful by taking these pills within the next couple of weeks then don't feel that they are the only option. My girlfriend had a bad reaction to taking them, actually fainted a few times and fell down some stairs! we can laugh about it now! So she went to the doctors and told them, and they put her on a different type - fluoxotin or something, and they were fine. Still had the tiredness etc, but didn't faint! But do give them 2 weeks if you are able to, and by then the side effects should be calming down.
stormduck

Postby Sammy123 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:21 pm

Day 3, I think I am repreating myself. Woke up this morning like a tornado, did everything so fast. Already called the doctor. Last night was rough everytime I closed my eyes all I kept seeing were shadows. I know there are some more meds out there, but we are pretty much running out of options. I shudder to tell you everything we have tried. This is so hard and I know it has been hard for everyone else. I understand that, I know I am not alone. Just seems that way. Right now I don't feel calm, my eyes are blurry, but I feel like an out of control train. Hugs...
Sammy123

Postby kerry02 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:36 pm

hi, my doctor has just prescribed me cipralex. i live on my own with my two year old son and dont have my family close by. i am worried about the side effects and if ill be able to cope with him. also will i be able to go to work. i have to drive. just i have read people saying they had to take time off. i would appreciate anyones responses on this.
kerry02

Postby stormduck » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:27 am

Hi Kerry, If it's possible to cut yourself some slack and have just a few days off while you start taking them then i would. Putting yourself under pressure to perform while feeling any side effects won't make you feel good. No-one can predict how your body will react to them, as you won't get all the side effects, just some, and they'll be different from the next person, so to know how you're gona feel or whether you'll be able to do particular things is very difficult.

Looking after your son shouldn't be a problem, but i know i wasn't able to drive for a little while. You may find your moods up and down, and as long as you realise they are side-effects and not yourself causing them, then you shouldn't worry or panic about them. From what i remember, everything else is physical, like tiredness or feeling a bit queesy occasionally - but as i say, everyone's going to be different, and the important thing is that these are side-effects and they will get better and go!

Just one more thing - something that i found is that doing yourself lots of favours and tending to act on the safe side was a good thing. It may not be your normal way of acting, but in these circumstances they can help a lot. For instance - i informed my uni tutors that it was likely i wasn't going to meet a deadline to hand in work, or turn up to lectures sometimes, i am in the fortunate position of living at home with parents and they were able to have time off between them so one of them could just be in the house to keep me company. Just small things like that to help yourself out and take the pressure away. Hope this helps. dave.
stormduck

Postby Sammy123 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:32 pm

Still feeling rough, but getting things done in the house. Not too much energy for anything else. Question, is there anyone out there that is on only 5 mg. of Cipralex as a treatment dosage?

Kerry I am definitely no expert, but the only thing I would say is exactly what Dave said, we are all different and side effects are different for each person. I am med sensitive so whereas 10 mg. maybe a treatment dosage for someone, 5 mg. could be a treatment dosage for me.

Hang in there, it can't be too bad or I would have given up after my first day. I hate side effects and usually stop a med when it makes me feel so awful. I feel pretty rough today, but functioning and believe me if I can do this I think pretty much anyone can.

Hugs...
Sammy123

Postby briary » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:39 pm

Hi Kerry

Welcome to the forum. Everyone has a different response to different medications and there you will not know how the Cipralex will affect you until you start taking it.

My experience was that the first few days saw the worst side effects, although even these wore off during the course of the day. By a period of two weeks on the medication, the side effects had resolved.

You might like to consider starting the medication at the weekend so you don't have to think about work. Do you have any family members who could help out with your son for a few hours if you are feeling rough? I found the side effects did make me feel under the weather but not to the extent where I couldn't carry on with daily life.

Nausea seems to be a common side effect and I found this was reduced by taking the medication with or after food. It doesn't need to be a big meal, just some fruit, a yoghurt or even a biscuit or slice of toast could help.

I also experienced headaches and treated these with simple painkillers.

You might also like to take the free Panic Attacks Course which many members have found helpful.

Are you receiving any other treatment for this?

Karen
briary

Postby briary » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Hi Sammy

Sorry you are still feeling rough, although it seems things are slowly improving.

When I took Cipralex for depression I started on 10 mg, which seems to be the standard dose, although I know of many people who has started on 5 mg and slowly built up. This seems sensible in your case as you seem particularly sensitive to medication.

Hang in there Sammy. The side effects do normally abate over the period of two weeks.

Karen
briary

Postby kerry02 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks for the advice. I started taking it today. it is only 5mg so hopefully I should be ok. Head feels alittle strange but apart from that feel fine. No, im not taking it with anything else. Went to doctors yesterday and told him what had been happening to me. mood swings, no energy, low self esteem, and how the simplest things are like huge problems for me. couldnt even make an appt for dentist even though I have toothache cos i needed to sort my housework out before i could think of it. He just gave me the prescription and rushed me out the door whilst i was still talking to him. No explanation whatsoever. So I had to come on here and investigate.
kerry02

PreviousNext

Return to Anxiety and Panic Attacks