Nervous system reset at a high level

Postby Paul Doherty » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:49 pm

I feel as if my nervous system is reset at a higher level which i notice in my rightside of the neck.(Stuck in fight and flight?)

I did Cranio sacral therapy to reduce flight and fight in my body but my brain still gets overactive when overtired or stressed.I have trouble sleeping on Sunday nights and other nights i get off to sleep ok but dream too much between 5-7am meaning i wake up knackerd!

When stressed i get nervousness, cold hands and ringing in the ears.

What can i do to get my anxiety levels down?

One Doctor calls it Generalised anxiety disorder another mixed anxiety and depression.

Each way its a nightmare to live with as all i seem to do is put on weight easily,tire easily and no/low libido.
Paul Doherty

Likes Received: 0

Postby Candid » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:43 pm

Are you drinking too much coffee? I know I am!
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 294

Postby Cooler » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:29 pm

Paul,

Yes, you are describing some typical symptoms of anxiety disorder. There are ways of coping, including helpful downloads on this site, but in the long term we all want full recovery. I believe mine was through a combination of lifestyle change and just waiting. It took a long time to let go of tension and worry habits, but they did pass and the anxiety lifted. It was palpable when it happened.

I hope yours lifts soon.

Good luck,

Alex.
Cooler

Likes Received: 6

Postby jsbabybear » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:42 pm

Alex if you don't mind me asking what sort of changes in your lifestyle helped and what else did you do to deal with your anxiety?

JS
jsbabybear

Postby Cooler » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:53 am

jsbabybear wrote:Alex if you don't mind me asking what sort of changes in your lifestyle helped and what else did you do to deal with your anxiety?

JS

js baby,

No problem. Well, I was very ill indeed. Had to give up the teaching job and most of my social life, spending a lot of time just resting in bed and taking the different levels of anxiety and panic attacks.

Then it was a complete slow down. Alternative therapies helped (mainly Shiatsu) and meditation classes, daily exercise on the mountain bike, cutting down alcohol and caffeine and a light diet.

Maybe the biggest thing, and I still do it, is to avoid people who are going to screw me up with emotional manipulation and stress me out. I had a lot of that as a teacher and have learned the signs. Now I can just walk away.

After two years free of anxiety, I can eat whatever I like, drink alcohol and coffee, go anywhere, and I feel normal again. However, I'm nowhere near as sociable as before and I am not a 'people pleaser' anymore.

Alex.

PS - I was old enough to early retire, but for a younger person the work thing is a big problem, especially with the politics these days. The workplace is a major stressor for some people and I don't have an answer for that. It's a Catch 22 IMHO.
Cooler

Likes Received: 6

Postby greg1000 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:54 pm

Hi JSbabybear,

It's quite incredible how intertwined our minds and bodies are. Stressful thoughts can easily manifest themselves physically (nervous tension and cold sweaty palms) ways and therefore a combination of strategies from both a physical and mental approach can really help overcome the burdening stress.

Exercise has been shown to be an incredibly effective stress reliever and either meditation or self hypnosis is a great way to mentally relax.
greg1000

Postby Paul Doherty » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:12 pm

What causes me to awake early by overdreaming leaving me exhausted during the day?

I also get bad circulation in my hands during winter.
Paul Doherty

Postby jsbabybear » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:16 pm

Cooler wrote:
jsbabybear wrote:Alex if you don't mind me asking what sort of changes in your lifestyle helped and what else did you do to deal with your anxiety?

JS

js baby,

No problem. Well, I was very ill indeed. Had to give up the teaching job and most of my social life, spending a lot of time just resting in bed and taking the different levels of anxiety and panic attacks.

Then it was a complete slow down. Alternative therapies helped (mainly Shiatsu) and meditation classes, daily exercise on the mountain bike, cutting down alcohol and caffeine and a light diet.

Maybe the biggest thing, and I still do it, is to avoid people who are going to screw me up with emotional manipulation and stress me out. I had a lot of that as a teacher and have learned the signs. Now I can just walk away.

After two years free of anxiety, I can eat whatever I like, drink alcohol and coffee, go anywhere, and I feel normal again. However, I'm nowhere near as sociable as before and I am not a 'people pleaser' anymore.

Alex.

PS - I was old enough to early retire, but for a younger person the work thing is a big problem, especially with the politics these days. The workplace is a major stressor for some people and I don't have an answer for that. It's a Catch 22 IMHO.

Thanks Alex. Unf I am not old enough to retire so have had to keep struggling through. The point you make about avoiding manipulative people is so true. It has come to light recently that a 'friend' is not to be trusted, someone I had told a lot of personal stuff to so that is hard to deal with.

I am also having to look for a new job as mine is about to be made redundant so that the emotional rollercoaster of preparing for interviews, doing interviews and waiting to hear afterwards is very difficult-I am having to work extra hard at managing the anxiety. I have cut out caffeine, I have a bath before sleep, I exercise (which I did anyway but using it now to manage the stress) and use a progressive muscular relaxation CD to help me sleep-like you Paul I was having crazy dreams all night, waking up early and exhausted the day after-this has really helped. I'm also taking medication (cipralex) and doing CBT and sometimes EMDR. It's a slow slow process but I am much better than I was even 2 months ago.

I'd be really grateful for any more advice or thoughts you had!

Thanks, JS
jsbabybear