Past Life Regressions

Postby RoryZ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:15 am

What are your opinions of past life regressions?

I personally do not believe in re-incarnation, so I've never ventured to have a PLR experience myself, although I'm gaining interest in trying it out as a Hypnotist. I imagine for the right sort of people it could be a wonderful experience.

Are you a believer in this phenomenon or not? Why?
RoryZ

Likes Received: 0

Postby UTA_Hypnotist » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:50 am

I don't believe its real. But a figment of their imagination. I have yet to try it but I want to do it to someone and I will soon. It would be the same thing as telling them they are someone else and having them give their past story. There is a video on Youtube by my friend Tyler Guest that has his friend Kari hypnotized into thinking she is the Pillsbury Dough Boy. It makes a hilarious video.
UTA_Hypnotist

Postby UTA_Hypnotist » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFSus8rnUXQ

Here is the link to the first part of the video.
UTA_Hypnotist

Postby kevsheldrake » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am

I'm quite anti-PLR. I think it perpetuates a fiction that is unhealthy.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1

Postby Ben1987 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:39 pm

A long time ago I read an article about a hypnotist, who was asked why he had stopped practizing past life regressions after offering it for years.
He replied that initially he really believed in it, but slowly over time he grew more and more annoyed about having yet another client in his chair believing to be the reincarnation of Cleopatra, Caesar, Jesus, ... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ben1987

Postby RoryZ » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:42 am

UTA_Hypnotist wrote:There is a video on Youtube by my friend Tyler Guest that has his friend Kari hypnotized into thinking she is the Pillsbury Dough Boy. It makes a hilarious video.

Pills bury their dead grandpa in the dumpster! Hahahahaha! What a great subject. :lol:
RoryZ

Postby RoryZ » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 am

kevsheldrake wrote:I'm quite anti-PLR. I think it perpetuates a fiction that is unhealthy.

Yes, I can understand that. I started to read a PLR book that I rented from the library, it's 50% hypnosis and 50% religious baloney.

But you know, there's a buyer for every product. I think I'll leave the PLR to the individuals that find room somewhere in their bodies for a "soul"... (I think I fill that space with Scotch, usually) :lol:
RoryZ

Postby divrom » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:15 pm

RoryZ wrote:What are your opinions of past life regressions?

Of course they're not actually travels into a past life. I view them as simple Deep Trance Identifications.

They could be, at the very least, imaginative metaphors or the releasing of some toxic emotions. Think of some aspects of Gestalt Therapy.

But, yes, it's funny that no one is ever they're dead Great-Uncle's neighbour from two houses down, who lead a very unremarkable life.
divrom
Preferred Member

Postby kevsheldrake » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:58 am

Or a dead cow. Eddie Izzard on QI asked the obvious question, "Where are all the cow ghosts?" :)

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby shelbel3000 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:52 am

I have taken quite a few people through past life regressions. I never do this as a therapy for anything - just offer it to people out of pure interest.
There are definitely times when it all appears to be imagination but then there are the times that what they come out with is quite strange. Ive actually never had anyone claim to be someone famous, but have had past events described that could later be found in books. Most clients will claim that they know nothing consciously of whatever they are describing - but who knows what they have picked up subconsciously throughout their lives.
But then you could argue that there are people who speak fluent languages under hypnosis that they cant speak otherwise....
I'm very open and do believe in past lives, but I also take most past life accounts that I am presented with, with a grain of salt - so to speak!
shelbel3000

Postby kevsheldrake » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 am

shelbel3000 wrote:I'm very open and do believe in past lives, but I also take most past life accounts that I am presented with, with a grain of salt - so to speak!

If you believe in past lives, why don't you believe in the PLRs that you've witnessed? If you take one with a grain of salt, why don't you take the other the same way?

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby shelbel3000 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:07 am

It depends on the evidence presented to me. Belief in a concept doesn't mean that I will believe every Tom, Dick and Harry that claims to have experienced it. Some people so desperately believe that that their problem A is caused by B happening in a past life and low and behold when you regress them that's what you get.... Still could be true, but I am more inclined to put stock in the people who I have seen who are genuinely shocked at what comes up (among other factors).
Like I said. I find past lives fascinating but don't go there with therapy in mind.
shelbel3000