Street/Impromptu

Postby kevsheldrake » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 am

hypnotherapylondonclinic wrote:Here is a video of how Derren flipped 10 heads in a row.
Search Youtube for Flipping 10 heads in a row: Full video

It shows us that Derren uses probability in a lot on his tricks and films all of the failures as he waits for the success.

Derren filmed and flipped coins for 9 hours until he got 10 heads in a row.
There is no camera trickery, It was just edited down so we only see the success. He uses this technique a lot and it seems like he is pulling off an amazing feat. But if you do anything long enough you will get it right at least once.

I'm sorry, but I have recreated this effect live in a presentation on how mentalism works, without spending hours on it, with no camera trickery and a very close-up and focused audience (about 50 top computer hackers). I don't want to discuss how I did it but I can't imagine Derren Brown spending any longer than he had to on it.

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1

Postby kevsheldrake » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:01 pm

Hypnotac wrote:I take it your referring to the AIM, which I haven't listened to yet. My question is when would anybody experience an automatic situation where there hand would be stuck whether it be to a table or head? same for hallucinations.

I'm not sure I understand. Hypnosis causes some experiences to feel automatic. Outside of a suggestion-based context, you might notice that when you walk or talk that your muscles move automatically to facilitate the movements you require. The only difference is that these movements aren't surprising because you know you have caused them to happen (discussions around free will aside).

Hypnotac wrote:You said its possible to entertain with every performance which I have no issues with, but if you went for an induction and it just wouldnt work or if a suggestion wouldnt take, how do you turn that into an entertaining situation?

First, I don't respond badly to an induction not going as planned because I've been there enough to know it doesn't have to hurt. I usually take any deviations in the process to be my fault because I haven't explained the instructions correctly or I haven't properly checked if there are any reasons why they won't follow them.

If I know they are a capable subject then I will congratulate them on having such a powerful and imaginative mind and will then ask if they'd like to try something different. I will then usually step back to a set piece (which they should already have succeeded with) and end it with their eyes closed, and tell them to "Drift and dream like all those times and places" and then will go for an arm levitation, link it to laughter and crack on. i.e. use the set piece as the induction without saying "Sleep" and continue into phenomena. My thinking is that if the induction caused the problem then drop it and continue without it.

If I don't know they are a capable subject and the induction fails then I will still congratulate them but will then ask some questions about how it felt and what they were thinking. Based on the answers and my feeling for whether they want to be hypnotised there and then I will either proceed as above (capable subject) or will turn to their most interested and fascinated friend and ask if they'd like to see what their mind might be capable of.

In situations where I haven't really got anywhere with one person, I will often find myself in a conversation with them later on where they ask me lots of inquisitive questions about how it works, what most people do and what they might be doing differently. By this point they usually have a therapeutic idea in mind and the conversation often reveals a little more about what actually happened when the induction didn't work on them, usually related to misconceptions about what their role was and their expectations of what they should feel and experience. In some cases I end up hypnotising them as part of our chat.

HTH

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby kevsheldrake » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:02 pm

divrom wrote:Excellent post, Kev.

You're welcome. :)

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Postby Hypnotac » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:38 pm

Cheers Kev,

I must agree with Divrom, the way you have explained everything has been spot on, and answers all my questions.

Thanks very much :D
Hypnotac

Likes Received: 0

Postby kevsheldrake » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:04 am

Hypnotac wrote:Cheers Kev,

I must agree with Divrom, the way you have explained everything has been spot on, and answers all my questions.

Thanks very much :D

Yay. I'll add a gold star to my badge. :)

Kev
kevsheldrake
MVP
MVP

Previous

Return to Hypnosis