low boredom threshold

Postby dr dave » Thu May 31, 2012 8:46 pm

I wondered if there was such a thing as a low boredom threshold? I know someone who has had this personality trait since birth basically, and gets bored incredibly easily, so therefor has to be entertained continually i.e by phone, people etc. It makes her frustrated because she doesn't know why - probably underlying issues, but she knows herself she is hard work, but can this low boredom threshold be treated? If so, with CBT or hypnotherapy?
dr dave

Likes Received: 0

Postby Motivated » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:49 pm

It could be that she has always been entertained - either TV, music, sports, classes, clubs - always something going on. So when there's a down time when nothing is going on - she doesn't know what to do with herself. I think this is partly why it's important that kids have time to just play creatively - to find ways to entertain themselves. As adults, we need to learn this too - not rely too much on passive or superficial entertainment.

Boredom sometimes reflects a lack of connection... especially with people. Finding a passion for helping others through one's skills or talents would help. Also, finding a way to connect within... meditation or yoga...since the feelings we crave always come from within us.
Motivated

Postby MattCoast » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:10 am

Yeah, boredom is definitely a perspective. If a zen monk can sit in a room for years and never get bored, there's no reason why someone would get bored elsewhere if it wasn't for their perspective on things.

There's always something interesting going on... it seems that many times, lots of people don't want to know what it is. I'd be very surprised if that was an innate characteristic.
MattCoast

Postby Ravi » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:21 pm

How would it be if we rephrase the condition you state and term it as a state of deficiency in appeal and appreciation to a subject or object in question

Boredom happens more - when the task at hand does not appeal to the Body (Physical), the Mind (Emotional) the Brain (Psychiatric Profile) and the Intellectual abilities of the individual

A performing musician, who applies the laws of physics whilst playing an instrument, could easily get bored in the forum of physicist who are enjoying a discussion on the theory of physical laws .. Here he is bored by the subject and the people around him…

The case you have brought forward also presents with a frustration, which requires understanding and identifying the extrinsic and intrinsic factors that contribute to the state she is in

It would help if the case is given a chart to detail her activities say in the last two weeks and then find a clue from the data that she brings in as to where, when and why she feels frustrated

Hope this helps.
Ravi

Likes Received: 4

Return to Psychology