I'm in Love with a Cartoon Character

Postby TeddyD » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Hey everyone. I am a 20 year old male, and I truly believe I am in love with a cartoon character. The character in question is Megara from Disney's Hercules.

I first watched the film when it was released in 1997. I was five years old. I immensely enjoyed the film and proceeded to buy it when it was released on VHS and rewatched it countless times. I instantly developed a massive crush on Hercules' love interest Meg. Her voice, her attitude, the depth to her character, and her gorgeous looks resulted in an unhealthy obsession over her character to the extent where I used to cry myself to sleep because of her being fictional and the realisation that I will never be able to meet her. And all of this was happening when I was 5 to 7 years old.

Afterwards (years later), I kind of 'forgot' about the film, and my feelings for Meg have subsided. They laid dormant. Only yesterday, me and two of my cousins decided to download and watch Hercules for nostalgia, and as we watched the film, all of my previous emotions and feelings were back and with a vengeance. Maybe its due to the fact that I am past puberty now, but fact is I am madly in love with Meg; I yearn for her to be laying between my arms, to watch her smile, to listen to her mellifluous voice.

I currently feel extremely depressed about the fact I will never have the opportunity of meeting her, and every time I remember she's just a cartoon character I can feel my heart sink. I am actually tearing up as I'm typing this.

If anyone is able to help me deal with this problem I would be eternally grateful.
TeddyD

Likes Received: 1

Postby Corrugo » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:20 am

I SO have you beat. I'm not even kidding.

Though you have great taste.. Megara is hawt.

Trust me, I understand your pain in many.. many ways. Pretty sure I fell for a few animated characters (anime/manga or TV show mostly) but to say I loved any of them.. no, I can't say I did.

I DID however fall for a character I created for my story. I wrote a story when I was younger, envisioned myself as the main character in a sense, and of course I needed a lover for him/me. I put together what I liked and had it all ready but I never actually got to write anything about her, whom we'll call Sarah.

I even broke up with a girl I was dating in the VERY SLIM chance that I could meet the real Sarah, if she existed.

I also had very strong feelings for a few J-pop members, this wasn't that long ago actually ^^;

So believe me, you ain't alone and my best mate has done the same, least with the J-pop part.

Now that I'm done explaining how I can relate.. allow me to try and help you, since I am your senpai in this ^^

Firstly.. what do you love about Megara? You never said, you just said how you want nothing more than to be close to her. Which I can totally relate to, again, as I often daydreamed about me and Sarah just lying together or walking together and just the thoughts gave me such a warm pleasant feeling.
Corrugo

Likes Received: 0

Postby TeddyD » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:28 am

Thanks for the reply Corrugo,

Wow, falling in love with a character in your story reminds me a lot about Pygmalion, the artist who fell in love with his sculpture.

Regarding what I love about Megara, its her charm, her attitude, her personality, her good looks, and her voice. She is unique in the sense that other Disney princesses in the sense that she isn't naive to start with, and has already had experiences with men. She has a cynical outlook on life and men in general; this level of intelligence and the realness of her character really attracts me to her. The fact that she is relatively gorgeous for a cartoon character is also a major plus, but for me I am not sexually attracted to her at all, I just feel like I want to cuddle with her and wouldn't mind dying in her arms. Its just this massive urge to want to be with her.

I feel like a have an inherent fear that throughout my life-time, I will never come across a girl that I will fall for like I did with Meg. I need to find a way to get over her ASAP, I can't keep thinking about her like this, its unhealthy :(
TeddyD

Postby oneheart » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:47 am

TeddyD wrote:Hey everyone. I am a 20 year old male, and I truly believe I am in love with a cartoon character. The character in question is Megara from Disney's Hercules.

I first watched the film when it was released in 1997. I was five years old. I immensely enjoyed the film and proceeded to buy it when it was released on VHS and rewatched it countless times. I instantly developed a massive crush on Hercules' love interest Meg. Her voice, her attitude, the depth to her character, and her gorgeous looks resulted in an unhealthy obsession over her character to the extent where I used to cry myself to sleep because of her being fictional and the realisation that I will never be able to meet her. And all of this was happening when I was 5 to 7 years old.

Afterwards (years later), I kind of 'forgot' about the film, and my feelings for Meg have subsided. They laid dormant. Only yesterday, me and two of my cousins decided to download and watch Hercules for nostalgia, and as we watched the film, all of my previous emotions and feelings were back and with a vengeance. Maybe its due to the fact that I am past puberty now, but fact is I am madly in love with Meg; I yearn for her to be laying between my arms, to watch her smile, to listen to her mellifluous voice.

I currently feel extremely depressed about the fact I will never have the opportunity of meeting her, and every time I remember she's just a cartoon character I can feel my heart sink. I am actually tearing up as I'm typing this.

If anyone is able to help me deal with this problem I would be eternally grateful.

I'm not sure if there even is a way with dealing with it, and being the person I am I wouldn't call it a "problem". Different people have different tastes, and you obviously see qualities in Meg that you can't see anywhere else.

I've met so many people like this online, and honestly, don't feel bad about it. You know, I have to confess that even though I'm in a good, happy stable relationship, I've had my fair share of cartoon crushes. It's a testament to the work of a group or an individual how their work can be appreciated in this way. After-all, I'd personally be more concerned if I finished a work without caring for the characters involved.
oneheart

Postby mrchic2002 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:02 am

Its about gaining the unatainable, A lot of people have similar things with celebs, just dont watch the film again and try to let it fade again

Personally that smurfette would get it :)
mrchic2002

Postby TeddyD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:58 pm

oneheart wrote:I'm not sure if there even is a way with dealing with it, and being the person I am I wouldn't call it a "problem". Different people have different tastes, and you obviously see qualities in Meg that you can't see anywhere else.

I've met so many people like this online, and honestly, don't feel bad about it. You know, I have to confess that even though I'm in a good, happy stable relationship, I've had my fair share of cartoon crushes. It's a testament to the work of a group or an individual how their work can be appreciated in this way. After-all, I'd personally be more concerned if I finished a work without caring for the characters involved.
I personally don't feel bad about falling into this situation, like you said, I also know plenty of people this happened to online.

For me, the problem is the fact that I constantly think about her, I go to sleep thinking of her and wake up to thoughts of her too. And whenever I remind myself that she's just a cartoon, that she's non-existant, it results in tremendous pain, and I end up feeling really demotivated and unable to do anything. I have a life changing exam in 6 days, I'm supposed to be revising everyday, but yesterday I was in such a bad mood about Meg that I couldn't revise at all...

mrchic2002 wrote:Its about gaining the unatainable, A lot of people have similar things with celebs, just dont watch the film again and try to let it fade again

Personally that smurfette would get it :)

I Googled for people with similar problems to me, and most of the time, people just advise others to relax, be patient, and this so called 'crush' or 'love' would sooner or later fade away. But the problem is it is affecting me right now, and I need a quick-fix, or at least something to stop me obsessing over Meg. I was having a driving lesson today, and the minute I thought of her I went silent, and even my instructor noticed that I was looking a bit depressed, he asked me whats wrong? Naturally I told him everything is fine, but its not.

Being in love with Meg is so hard to deal with, imagine being in love with someone, then realising they are dead, that you will NEVER see them in your lifetime. Thats how I feel, and even if you believe in after-life, I can not be sure that I will be able to meet her there as well. No matter what, I will never come across Meg and this is what kills me. Her song in the movie to me feels like a blunt dagger slicing open my chest, yet, at the same time, I feel as though I'm addicted to listening to it over and over again.
TeddyD

Postby Khasara » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi ! I am here with the same feeling ! I fell in love with "Kakashi Hatake" from Naruto series. First i thot it was just an infatuation but wenever I see him my heart beats faster n faster. And den i accepted yes i am definitely in love with him ! I wish someday it happens magically that i make him alive and tell him my feelings.. I'l be the happiest ! I shared my feelings with a close fren of mine and he told me that this is a mental disorder because of lack of care, love in childhood ( dat ws true). He calmly told me that m suffering from BPD (Borderline Personality Disorder), n told me to treat myself. To this i refuse humbly n told him m very happy i gt that disorder n wil continue luving Kakashi Hatake ! That ws my decision ! Its up to u fella.. I felt like sharing it wit U coz i can undestand ur feeling .. M goin thru same stream as yours !
Khasara

Postby TeddyD » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Well thanks a lot guys for being absolutely no help, might as well go search for assistance somewhere else on the internet.

P.S: I have my exam after tomorrow, and have done no productive revision because of my obsession with Meg. You guys did not help me one bit :x
TeddyD

Postby freedom80 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:25 pm

TeddyD wrote:Well thanks a lot guys for being absolutely no help, might as well go search for assistance somewhere else on the internet.

P.S: I have my exam after tomorrow, and have done no productive revision because of my obsession with Meg. You guys did not help me one bit :x

I feel the people who did answer tried their best and these people understood you too. I think most people would not understand how you can love something which you cant even interact with on any level. Id say out of sight out of mind, in time feeling fade. Just keep changing your thoughts whenever you can, just like you would if you fancied a married woman you couldn't be with. If its disturbing your life too much it maybe an unhealthy obsession that needs dealing with.
freedom80

Postby TheEmeraldCity » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:00 am

I know what you mean, but with TV show characters. I refuse to learn about the actors behind the characters so i'm not put off. For example I am currently very fond of Dexter Morgan and before that Dean Winchester (supernatural) and Tom welling (Smallville).
It made me :( often that I would never meet them or know them and even that they are not real (the characters).

Later on in life, I translated it into looking for the qualities these characters posessed (that made them attractive to me) in real boys.

Problem kind of solved.
So I guess I'm trying to say, find your own Megara. I'm sure One person on this planet must Be like her. If that doesn't work, you can always pretend :) and listen to John Mayer songs.
TheEmeraldCity