Day one completed, looking for support and advice

Postby Stevenpearce » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:55 am

Right here goes, first time I have joined a forum and I got to say that by reading the other threads I have realised I am not alone in battling addiction / dependence on weed. Im also amazed how some people managed to smoke more than i did!!!

I'm 37 now and have been smoking weed and hash since i was 15 at least daily. I have packed jt in previously but never for a prolonged period of time & just like all the other threads I thought I could moderate my use but always end up back at square one. All in all i find it all tiring and the strength is getting too strong, I feel like a zombie. I've decided now to quit for good, I'm worried about the health aspects of it and my kids are now at an age when they can smell it on me, plus it drives me wife nuts as well!!

I was inspired by reading the threads yesterday and that some people have overcome bigger challenges then I have. My use is constitent and I smoked about an eight a week of skunk, yesterday was ok and I drank lots of water and kept myself busy, the nighttime was horrible though, sweaty and couldn't sleep but I know this is what you have to go through these first few days. Just wanted to say thanks to you all and welcome any advice or assistance. I'm off to play golf today and playing clean may actually improve my game!
Stevenpearce

Likes Received: 25

Postby iemmesi » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:02 am

good luck in your journey to overcome your addiction mate.

i think im on day 9 or 10 i cant remember right now, let me tell you i feel amazing my confidence has shot up, ive saved over £100 and i have more energy than ever before.

unfotunately the side effects from giving up can be terrible,ive gone from smoking a ten bag a day to not smoking any at all. Ive had a constant headache for over a week and i can barely sleep but this should all get better with time.

keep posting on here and dont be afraid to ask for help :)

peace
iemmesi

Likes Received: 0

Postby bollyman » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm

Hi steven,can relate to the kids and wife thing loads,I still drive my wife potty though 287 days in .the first 2 weeks are difficult and the dreams are wacky but then it gets easier and you'll feel a million dollars,but don't be surprised when life gets tricky again-that's when the work starts but it's worth it-we can do it,try narcotics anon,start treating the wife and kids with the money you save and also yourself ,hang in there day at a time,keep posting and good luck-we can do it!!
bollyman

Postby Stevenpearce » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks fellas for the support, I'm ashamed to say that I buckled today, I am aware tht I need to avoid other smokers and played golf earlier with someone who I thought was out of smoke. It's not all bad though as I allthough I shared a couple of spliffs with him it wasn't very strong and I don't really feel high. All it's done is reinforce that I need to avoid other smokers but for how long? It's frustrated me that I've buckled so quickly but had I known he had smoke I wouldn't have played with him. Back to square one
Stevenpearce

Postby Girl_Einstein77 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:30 pm

I think it's admirable for anyone to enact a change in lifestyle that will ultimately benefit them and their loved ones. Don't beat yourself up for slipping. I'm on day 4 of no smoke and I mostly think of all the things I will be gaining without being constantly high. I will be giving my friends and family more of my authentic self, I won't be preoccupied with getting high before outings, or how I can pretend I'm sober once I'm out. I've been smoking every day for over a decade and quitting never seemed all that important until I realized how much it altered my reactions to life. I wasn't able to handle complex conversations or remember things that people told me, and I wasn't very tolerant. Also, I never finished anything I started around the house, I was lethargic and irritable after the high wore off, which led to more smoking, I would eat way too much bad food, the list goes on... Without smoking I hope to gain confidence, healthiness, and more sense of purpose.. I'm looking forward to my new life...
Stay strong! Your kids will really appreciate a sober you more than a high you.
Girl_Einstein77

Postby JuliusFawcett » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:54 pm

There is nothing like practicing quitting to get better at quitting. You can be easier on yourself, you learned a lesson 8)

Peace, love and harmony
JuliusFawcett

Likes Received: 552

Postby Wave » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:22 pm

Good to see you got a post it, loads more posts than me in half the time :lol:

I really plan not to be around anyone that smokes for a while. When I last gave up my mate stayed the weekend and left about 6-7 bowls in my grinder. I found it about 4 days later and was the first time I had any weed in the house since quitting and eventually gave in and when that was out I was off to some more green when that ran out :( . I don't blame my mate, its what weed can do to you sometimes that's all.

Don't worry that you slipped up, but in my experience I will never quit while I have access to weed, so really tried to cut access to any and I waited to quit once I ran out, which I smoked at my normal rate.
Wave
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 217

Postby Stevenpearce » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Got to say the forum is really helping me out, the post by young Einstein girl could have been written by me, it's incredible how much effort we put into getting stoned. That energy and enthusiasm can hopefully be used more constructively from now on. This morning was a lesson which I suppose is best to get out of the way early on rather than later. Have had a relaxing evening so far with no cravings, a nice BBQ and a good soak in the bath. Staying positive that tonight's sleep won't be too much of a hassle and the dreams aren't too freaky!!!!
Stevenpearce

Postby Stevenpearce » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:57 pm

Hello all, been feeling a bit lethargic today which I am putting down to disturbed sleep. I have found that drinking lots of water (approx 3 litres per day) has helped with the night sweats a bit but I still have had to change night clothes durin the night jus because its more comfortable.

Feel most likely to smoke when I am not occupied or on me own so been watching films and going golf. I have appreciated the comments and support I have received on here its really reassuring to receive and know that other people are experiencing similar challenges.

Good luck to you all and have a pleasant weekend.
Stevenpearce

Postby Wave » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Keep it going mate! I got the night sweats and my appetite is starting vanish.

Best of luck getting through the weekend.
Wave
Preferred Member

Postby Stevenpearce » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:18 am

So day 4 is underway, didnt sleep too bad but was still sweating quite a lot - my wife will be surprised that for once I have changed the bed covers! Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on night sweats???

Feeling the health benefits even though its very early days, my chest doesn't feel clogged up, my gums look healthier and off course my head doesn't feel foggy. I do still constantly think about weed, seem to be thinking about the smell and taste of it, but for the moment the thought of actually doing it are not strong, not sure what I would feel if I was in the company of someone smoking so going to play it safe and avoid other smokers for the foreseeable future.

Would welcome any comments or support as its so helpful to read, have a great weekend everyone. Keep going if u r quitting and if u r still smoking dont fear about quitting its tough but a lot easier than staying on the weed treadmill.
Stevenpearce

Postby Wave » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:46 am

Good to hear it mate!! My sweating was a lot less last night but I took your advice and stayed up till I could bearly stay awake (1:15) and then went to bed. I slept fairly well and not having to get up for work always helps!

I know what you mean about smoking, I don't really miss it but I do feel quite empty inside. I'm going to try and start exercise as I remember last time this had a massive benefit for feeling relaxed and feeling good.
Wave
Preferred Member

Postby bollyman » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:53 pm

hi steven,well done,the night sweats will go before 2 weeks,like youve suggested its better to stay away from tokers,keep your mind busy,and your bdy active,try a narcotics anonymous meeting-its not for everyone but youll meet people in the same boat and maybe new friends
bollyman

Postby Stevenpearce » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:20 am

So day 5 is starting now and generally I am feeling good, yesterday was difficult, I was a bit anxious and snappy but that could have been the case if I had been smoking as well these things happen whether u r stoned or not I suppose. Really looking forward to today as its my daughters birthday party, she is so excited and so am I!!!

Have a great day everyone!
Stevenpearce

Postby Stevenpearce » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:25 am

Also found that a hot bath in the evening is helping me relax and a glass of milk before bed is making me sleep better.
Stevenpearce

Next