how to act like an adult?

Postby teeekilicious18 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:11 pm

just a simple question, i never knew how to dress up or wear make up or look for my own money. i never find dressing up big deal because im so used to wearing uniforms but now im out of high school, dressing up seems a big deal. i never knew how to dress up. even on special events. idk, i just dont feel like im a girl, im a tomboy but like i wanna be a grown woman. im going to be 21 next year how do i do all these stuffs.... how do adults do it? my mum said im on a phase of learning how to leave alone. but looking for jobs is just ugh. and i am the only girl in the family, i so want an older sister. oh well life is life, just needed to let it out. because whenever im surrounded with adults, i get nervous.

note: man ive been talking about future with my best friend, earning our own apartment, get married, drive our own car... its all just a dream.. have a big house even.
teeekilicious18

Likes Received: 1

Postby JuliusFawcett » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:39 pm

Dress like a person that you would like to be, look around for happy, confident people in your community and dress like them.
JuliusFawcett

Likes Received: 552

Postby WonderGurl » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:05 pm

Through the method of trial and error.

Start by figuring out what clothes suit your figure and go for classy designs rather than latest fashion fad. Only leave your house looking your best, because how you look to a certain significant degree affects how you feel about yourself. At first it will feel akward but you'll get used to it and will start enjoying it.

No woman was ever born knowing how to dress, wear make up and do her hair. It's learned just like anything else in life.
WonderGurl
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 136

Postby SelfHelpTrends » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:13 am

Observe how successful people behave and carry themselves. Then pick the traits that you like from each of them and cultivate them into yours.
SelfHelpTrends

Likes Received: 0

Postby coffeelove3 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Hey there! keep your chin up :) I am a 27 year old confident (most days) woman here to tell you every person has had these feelings and insecurities. You are coming into adulthood and leaving the goofy things behind, its new territory for everyone. Your question was how to act like an adult. Well I believe being an adult is being responsible, respectful, and having integrity- with yourself and to others. yes looking for a job sucks! having to sell yourself at interviews is the worst. After you get a job- save some of your money…for a car (or new car) to move out or simply just to save. A lot of young people and some older people, never save money- going paycheck to paycheck thats a terrible way to live. Some friends are going out of town for the weekend you can't go because you have to pay your bills that week and will be out of money. NO! that is no way to live. save save save. whatever you can 5%.10%. when making a big purchase (computer, car, act) shop around-look for the best deal or wait for after thanksgiving sales ..also another way of saving money.
Be the best VERSION of yourself… whatever that is for you. I use to get angry shout and shut down when I was younger 18-21 I hated it..hated that I couldn't get out what I was feeling without boiling over- I eventually got better at talking things through or I walk alway …calm down and come back to talk. An adult should always stay cool and collected-dont blurt out things you'll regret later.(some things you can't take back)
Be true to yourself- I know you want to be an adult and act like one,… but you can't act like anyone..you have to be you.
When i turned 24 or 25 was when I was finally like yeah this is who I am & you can do whatever you want with that.
I wish it had been sooner- As for dressing up…like and adult. Everyone had there own style. For woman I don't feel theres enough comfortable dress up clothes out there. lol but the best advise I can give you is be comfortable
when you choose comfortable great looking clothes your at you best (instead of a super cute pencil skirt-but you can't sit down) fitted jeans (not skinny jeans) is a clean look. with some nice comfy flats or wedges, cotton t shirt and a light jacket over. is a grown up but laid back style.
I try really really hard to never leave the house without makeup - I am much more confident … you look good you feel good
theres a lot of hair and makeup tutorials on youtube you can reference if you have never been into the stuff
(oh and for makeup…its not a lot a lil BB cream, contour, light blush, curl eyelashes & mascara-it takes me 10 min, IF that)
hair -as long as its blown out smooth and straight its good for me, I don't like having my hair messy.
ONE MORE piece of advice
Any big decision you'll make from now on- being an adult will be making the choice with the least amount of risk or fall out for you . There will be a lot

Theres not too many things that are white and black these days-lots of shades of gray…

keep the people that are there during hard times and ask nothing of you around. those are real friend- everyone else can suck it

:) take care
coffeelove3

Postby teeekilicious18 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:05 am

coffeelove3 wrote:Hey there! keep your chin up :) I am a 27 year old confident (most days) woman here to tell you every person has had these feelings and insecurities. You are coming into adulthood and leaving the goofy things behind, its new territory for everyone. Your question was how to act like an adult. Well I believe being an adult is being responsible, respectful, and having integrity- with yourself and to others. yes looking for a job sucks! having to sell yourself at interviews is the worst. After you get a job- save some of your money…for a car (or new car) to move out or simply just to save. A lot of young people and some older people, never save money- going paycheck to paycheck thats a terrible way to live. Some friends are going out of town for the weekend you can't go because you have to pay your bills that week and will be out of money. NO! that is no way to live. save save save. whatever you can 5%.10%. when making a big purchase (computer, car, act) shop around-look for the best deal or wait for after thanksgiving sales ..also another way of saving money.
Be the best VERSION of yourself… whatever that is for you. I use to get angry shout and shut down when I was younger 18-21 I hated it..hated that I couldn't get out what I was feeling without boiling over- I eventually got better at talking things through or I walk alway …calm down and come back to talk. An adult should always stay cool and collected-dont blurt out things you'll regret later.(some things you can't take back)
Be true to yourself- I know you want to be an adult and act like one,… but you can't act like anyone..you have to be you.
When i turned 24 or 25 was when I was finally like yeah this is who I am & you can do whatever you want with that.
I wish it had been sooner- As for dressing up…like and adult. Everyone had there own style. For woman I don't feel theres enough comfortable dress up clothes out there. lol but the best advise I can give you is be comfortable
when you choose comfortable great looking clothes your at you best (instead of a super cute pencil skirt-but you can't sit down) fitted jeans (not skinny jeans) is a clean look. with some nice comfy flats or wedges, cotton t shirt and a light jacket over. is a grown up but laid back style.
I try really really hard to never leave the house without makeup - I am much more confident … you look good you feel good
theres a lot of hair and makeup tutorials on youtube you can reference if you have never been into the stuff
(oh and for makeup…its not a lot a lil BB cream, contour, light blush, curl eyelashes & mascara-it takes me 10 min, IF that)
hair -as long as its blown out smooth and straight its good for me, I don't like having my hair messy.
ONE MORE piece of advice
Any big decision you'll make from now on- being an adult will be making the choice with the least amount of risk or fall out for you . There will be a lot

Theres not too many things that are white and black these days-lots of shades of gray…

keep the people that are there during hard times and ask nothing of you around. those are real friend- everyone else can suck it

:) take care

thank you!! wow that's helpful! :) other than feeling rock bottom, its an exciting venture.
teeekilicious18

Postby LeoL » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:46 pm

First off, change your environment. You said that you had to wear uniforms your whole life so you were used to it. Think of it like this. How is a plastic bowl made? By the mold injection machine. Let's say you want a plastic cup and you still use that same mold injection machine to make a plastic cup. It won't. Why? Because that mold injection machine that makes plastic bowls only make plastic bowls. You are like the object. The mold injection machine is the environment. Change your environment and it will help you get the look you want. Be careful, not all environments are good. In order to change you must become someone you once never were.
LeoL

Likes Received: 0

Postby joedalio » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:54 pm

First, I say this to encourage, not discourage. I am 48 and STILL LEARNING what it means to be an adult. I have learned a lot in my years, but I still make mistakes sometimes too. I've learned that the best course of action is to go with my heart. If I feel that it's right, I go with it.

It is still ok as well to utilize people I trust to get advice if I am still not sure myself. There's nothing wrong with that :D
joedalio

Likes Received: 2

Postby QueenBeauty? » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:24 pm

[quote="coffeelove3"]Hey there! keep your chin up :) I am a 27 year old confident (most days) woman here to tell you every person has had these feelings and insecurities. You are coming into adulthood and leaving the goofy things behind, its new territory for everyone.

What do you mean leave the goofy things behind? What is your problem? You sound like if you are saying : Being an adult means no more goofiness, craziness and having fun. No more fun parties that make you feel young and you have to replace that type of good old fun by having serious business parties surrounded by wine, work talks and gossips about he office. Most adult try to fit in to much by not having their childhood in them anymore, they say move on and act serious, be serious and only have the type of fun that serious adults have which are honestly boring. Work parties, or meetings are boring. Needing wine and alcohol to have fun and have conversations with your colleagues is dull. We need more people who stay young at heart. Yes dress nicely , clean and confident in yourself. Don't worry if you don't look like an adult or dress like all those dull workaholic people out there. Go to work to make money and build your accomplishments, but after work go out there and have fun in nature, laugh, be goofy and smiley. Don't go to work meetings in bars and boring modern restaurants.

I used to care about what other adults say or think about me at work, I work for money. That money I use to have fun like buying what I want and what makes me and my family happy. I don't hang out with co workers or act and dress all stiff like most of them. Being adult is just physical and mental : You grow up, getting older, but you learned right from wrong and maturity and respect yourself and others around you. There you are an adult! Now go out there and be yourself and yes wear that funny t shirt from time to time because if people judge you based on your appearance than they aren't living enough. Don't be a stiff like those workaholic too serious looking pricks. Live, you have one life. Do those crazy things you always wanted to do, make people laugh and yourself laugh. Dress clean, but cool.

I learned that in this sad world we are living in where people judge you and chooses you based on your appearance to no play their game. Get rid of people who are too stiff or judge you on what you dress or look like. Be crazy, You don't have to hang out with co workers and act all snob and stiff and talk about boring work conversations while sipping on a glass on martini and wine like them. Instead, I go home and hang out with people who are fun and make me laugh, people who are young at heart. Not people who judges you based on your academic accomplishments and how you dress! Adult means that you went through some things in life, you saw, you came you did ,you fell and climbed and based on that you know a bit of what's right from wrong, and you know what you like and what you hate etc. My father's surgeon is a doctor, a respected doctor who had a heavy metal t shirt under his white coat! He was such a goofball, yet a very respected surgeon he is. So yeah dressing means nothing if a surgeon had a heavy skeleton metal t shirt!
QueenBeauty?
Preferred Member