Wish I could give it up but...

Postby Behind Blue Eyes » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:49 am

I am 36 years old and have smoked for 20 years and have drank heavily for approximately 10 years. I have reached a point in my life where I wish I could give these horrible habbits up but when I try to stop drinking after about 4 days I get sick and very upset. I hate it and want to stop desperately. Does anyone know of a good way? I have actually cut back tremendously on how much I drink but still feel the dependency of alcohol to feel normal. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Behind Blue Eyes

Likes Received: 0

Postby Recovery1395 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:42 pm

Have you considered in-patient treatment (e.g. rehab)? alcohol withdrawal is dangerous and requires supervision.
Recovery1395

Likes Received: 33

Postby weed_victim » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:16 pm

Yeah, I agree with Recovery. U need help to for quiting. I read about alcohol withdrawal.
weed_victim

Likes Received: 7

Postby Behind Blue Eyes » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:35 am

Thank you for your input but I don't feel a rehab is logical for me and my current situation. I really need a way I can do it at home. Is it possible to do a step down to the point I'm not drinking at all?
Behind Blue Eyes

Postby c1rcles » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:39 am

Yes, you can do it at home. The best thing is for you to gradually cut down with alcohol or stop fully with weed. But you should also pick one substance to cut out first, as abstaining from multiple substance addictions at once is not effective. I would suggest alcohol first as it has more immediate dangers.

How intent are you on quitting? Your last post seems like you are simply fishing for information on a quick solution. That won't be afraid I'm enough. You have to really be ready to stop. Like with any substance, this is up to you and whatever you read online, or programs you find will only be as effective as your will to quit. I myself have spent 3 months in rehab only to return to using. So it has nothing to do with programs. It's about you. It will take hard work, perseverance and may be one of the most difficult things you've ever done.

What are your reasons to quit? How many times have you tried before? Are you already attending AA meetings? That might seem like a logical starting point for you.
c1rcles

Likes Received: 2

Postby SelfHelpTrends » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:31 am

c1rcles wrote:Yes, you can do it at home. The best thing is for you to gradually cut down with alcohol or stop fully with weed. But you should also pick one substance to cut out first, as abstaining from multiple substance addictions at once is not effective. I would suggest alcohol first as it has more immediate dangers.

How intent are you on quitting? Your last post seems like you are simply fishing for information on a quick solution. That won't be afraid I'm enough. You have to really be ready to stop. Like with any substance, this is up to you and whatever you read online, or programs you find will only be as effective as your will to quit. I myself have spent 3 months in rehab only to return to using. So it has nothing to do with programs. It's about you. It will take hard work, perseverance and may be one of the most difficult things you've ever done.

What are your reasons to quit? How many times have you tried before? Are you already attending AA meetings? That might seem like a logical starting point for you.

I agree with c1rcles. You should identify your reasons for quitting. When the why is strong enough, the facts don't count at all. This can be done by writing down 100 benefits of quitting alcohol and you will eventually have enough reasons to remove that habit once and for all. If the reasons are emotional, it will be much more effective. You can read the benefits everyday to remind you to follow through on your objective. Then you can repeat the process with smoking as well. All the best!
SelfHelpTrends

Return to Addictions