saying goodbye to the weed

Postby needtoquitnow » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:21 am

I've been smoking weed for over 20 years now and it really is time to stop. It's taken over my life. I used to be a casual smoker, weekends and that but for the last few years its been from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, 7 days a week. I tried giving up before but im unbearable to be around after a few days so I'd give in and have a joint. Simple as that. I'm sure some of you can sympathise with me.

Anyway, this time I'm determined. I promised my son. Im on day 3 and I can tell you, its not easy. I'm wearing holes in the carpet pacing around.

I'm new here and have read some posts which I have found very helpful. I'm open to any advice anyone would like to give. Thanks in advance
needtoquitnow

Likes Received: 0

Postby JamesyBoy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi there,

I am also new here, created an account so that I could give my experience and thoughts on quitting. I have smoked the herb for around 14yrs now and can honestly say quitting smoking this stuff is harder than most ppl think. I was smoking all day every day, 7 days a week, id even go without food just so that I could have a spliff! Crazy eh?! One day I realised I didnt want to be a slave to it any more, the people in my life deserve better and just like that I quit! I tried to find other things to occupy my mind, like sports and fitness, going to see family and friends more, stuff like that. It worked for a few months until a particularly stressful time at work and I thought "i'll just buy one bag of weed and thats it" but it didnt work like that and 7months later im still smoking it :/ however im starting all over again, with quitting and going through the withdrawals and the vivid nightmares again (Im on day 2 so its still pretty early yet) It was a massive shame for me because I had gone 6months off of it as well, I was so proud of myself but one day at work ruined it all!

I recently came back off of a 2weeks holiday in turkey with my mrs, its weird because whilst i was there i didnt think about it once. I should have just stayed off of it when i got back but i had a few spliffs at home that id left before i went and of course i sparked a spliff up and was back to square one!

My only advice to you would be to find things to fill your time with, constructive things like gardening or some kind of a project to take your mind off of it. I found that cleaning and general tidying around the house helped a lot or going to see people. Also, think of the benefits, at least you wont have to go out meeting shady characters to get some, or have to worry about whether its going to be any good. For me personally, its the fact that i can be social without being awkward and paranoid all the time. Sure the 1st few weeks are going to be tough but it is definitely worth all the hard work.

I hope iv helped mate. Good luck!
JamesyBoy

Postby GRANDSON » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:17 pm

The Medical & pharmaceutical industries sell Billions of $ of anti anxiety medications, to take the edge off, Some people require anti anxiety meds to be ok, Marijuana is not physically addictive as are cigarettes or alcohol. Marijuana actually has anti cancer properties, especially if not burned to ingest it. It is the most benign, most mild intoxicant / relaxant / recreational substance
you can ingest. It is impossible to die from taking or eating too much of it. The BBC did a test with marijuana's effects upon a drivers ability to drive in comparison to Alcohols effects.
We all know alcohol has a negative effect on ones driving ability, what was the surprise in their test was that marijuana actually enhanced the drivers attention and concentration making the drivers score better than when drunk and better than when not drunk!
Of course this was not televised as planned,, however is easily found online as the BBC did not wish to publicize their findings. They found that the drivers were perhaps more worried about being a bad driver so that they were extra careful as opposed to driving normally or when drunk, and it did not take much booze to begin degrading the drivers skills!
Eating taco's every day all day, or Sees candy would soon get tiring so if you are tired of it great, but if you feel anxious and nervous without it, why would you go take Prozac or Abilify
etc which is just legalized meth?
GRANDSON

Postby SelfHelpTrends » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:42 pm

needtoquitnow wrote:I've been smoking weed for over 20 years now and it really is time to stop. It's taken over my life. I used to be a casual smoker, weekends and that but for the last few years its been from the time I get up to the time I go to bed, 7 days a week. I tried giving up before but im unbearable to be around after a few days so I'd give in and have a joint. Simple as that. I'm sure some of you can sympathise with me.

Anyway, this time I'm determined. I promised my son. Im on day 3 and I can tell you, its not easy. I'm wearing holes in the carpet pacing around.

I'm new here and have read some posts which I have found very helpful. I'm open to any advice anyone would like to give. Thanks in advance

Write down the benefits of quitting on a piece of paper. You can add to the list by writing a few benefits a day and read the list on a daily basis. Then keep yourself busy with things that you enjoy doing so that you don't think about it.
SelfHelpTrends

Postby lynne66 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:43 pm

You just have to hang on to your a** for quite a while and be prepared to ride out the discomfort of your brain rewiring itself and also the discomfort of all the things that have to be faced once the numbing and perspective altering effects of weed are gone. I won't lie. For me, though I am glad I am quit for over four months now and respect myself more, it is not an easy thing to do after using and abusing cannabis for over 20 years.

Get some coping skills in place and take good care of your health. Keep stress levels as low as possible and just take it one day at a time. I have some points in my day still where I feel I just can't handle it anymore and yet I'm exactly sure what the heck "it" really is. Then I remind myself this is probably part of my healing and I'm having a wave of neuro-emotion hit me or reality full force and I just have to breath, find a way to let go of tension and carry on.

Janette on here recommended a great book called, "I Want to Change My Life: How to Overcome Anxiety, Depression and Addiction" I am not all the way through it, but the one great point the author makes about addicts, is that we don't really know how to relax very well and process and diffuse our tensions, so we have to learn by doing things like naming our tension and letting it go, replacing with a positive phrase and learning how to ground and meditate.

ALWAYS validate your experience and that you are quitting for a good reason(s).
lynne66
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 50

Postby therebirth » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:19 pm

@GRANDSON I don't even know were to start with you. Are you high? So those of us here who have been dependent and addicted to weed for years are retarded? Those of us here who experienced panic attacks towards the end of our smoking career aren't normal? Those of us here who are still going through slow and painful physical and psychological withdrawals from years of smoking are collectively lying about our problems. I would bet some money you typed that high. Cuz I know I once used to think like you. I was part of the 'legalize it' movement, I argued its benefits, I encouraged it, listened to music encouraging the habits, watched weed movies etc so it's hard to judge your views.

@ineedtoquitnow came here for help and encouragement to quit an addiction he's going through, even as his name suggests and all you are doing is telling him marijuana is harmless and encouraging him to keep smoking? A big SHAME on you man. Lol.. it's funny cuz you don't even know the half of it.. trust me you don't know and you will never understand till it might be too late.

@ineedtoquit.. you made the right choice on quitting and registering in the forum. You have to hang in there bro. Hopefully your recovery won't be as long and stressful as it's been for most of us here. Wishing you the best.
therebirth

Likes Received: 4

Postby lynne66 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:50 am

"I have smoked the herb for around 14yrs now and can honestly say quitting smoking this stuff is harder than most ppl think. "

James - Yes. This is why most people I know never do quit though I have heard at least a few say they ought to or would like to even take a break, but it never happens. If it was an easy thing to just stop, I know more than a handful of folks who would, but cannot for the life of them. I remind myself of this when the going gets rough four months out.
lynne66
Preferred Member

Postby Ronjonjonjon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:09 pm

Yes I used to have a 'legalize it' mentality, but realize that I ME MYSELF CANNOT just recreationally have some weed every once in a while. I will keep smoking to sh** out of it! So people like me(and assuming most of you postin on here) have a similar problem. It's us against weed! Don't give yourself internal ultimatums. Just don't do it. The opposite of the Nike slogan lol. Your wallet and head will feel better about it! Good luck you can do it and every craving, cold sweat, anxiety attack you have is one more farther from your past addiction. You can do it! My girlf is doing dealt with me arguing with her about Birkenstock sandals never going on sale because they are the same every year! Wtf does this matter? It's just my weed getting out of me! I'm still neurotic but weed free so who cares?
Ronjonjonjon

Postby lynne66 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:36 pm

RonJon - Yes! We can all do it. It is not easy in some ways, but totally doable. We just don't pick up that joint and I found I had to change my life - like get away from the cannabis culture I was so close to where I used to live. part of me moving far away where I'm not close to anyone who abuses cannabis, was to help my recovery along. I love what you said about "I'm still neurotic but weed free so who cares?" This is an excellent point to ponder! In so many ways!
lynne66
Preferred Member

Postby Ronjonjonjon » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Thank you Lynn I have seen a lot of your posts and I find it inspiring that you made these steps to better your life.
Ronjonjonjon

Postby Mrs_No_Name » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 am

I used to be part of the legalise it party too. Nature's painkiller etc blah blah blah. I hate that I have been so stupid and wasted a vast amount of my life being a slave to it. Well no more! I want my life back.

Not saying it's easy. I do have cravings but keep strong needtoquitnow, You can do it x
Mrs_No_Name

Likes Received: 3

Postby johnrlivingston » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:46 pm

GRANDSON... As someone who used to think just like you, I suggest you spend more time listening and less time talking. I'd hazard a guess ALL of us likely shared your views before we experienced addiction ourselves. Some longer than others, but at one point we all drank the kool-aid thinking weed was a harmless, soft drug with no addicting properties. Well.... guess what? We were wrong.

Just like alcohol, nicotine, or any other addictive substance out there - some people will not have any problems, others will go years before they develop problems, and some will have problems right away. The severity of problems, the severity of withdrawal, and the length of withdrawal can vary greatly based on countless factors.

I myself never had any significant problems w/ weed until just recently (though looking back now I can see that even when it wasn't a 'problem' it held me back from my true potential). Then a switch flipped, and I learned the hard way that not only can pot be addictive, it can be TERRIBLY addictive. It can CAUSE anxiety rather than cure it. It can CAUSE depression. Why this switch flipped I do not know for sure, though I'm sure my increased use was a major factor. Why did I increase my use? Because I bought into the BS of pot being 'harmless' and 'medicinal'. It may be medicinal in the short-term for people with severe health issues, but in the long term - prolonged chronic use is a disease in itself.

I challenge you ask yourself... "Where do my views come from?" Is it from personal experience? Because 1 person is not an adequate sample size to be basing opinions on. Is it from the media - who's job it is not to report facts in a clear, balanced, & un-biased manner, but rather report whatever they think will sell? Is it from watching your friends do OK with it? But are they really OK? How many of your stoner friends are achieving greatness - reaching their full potential? Are you achieving greatness? Going to work everyday or managing your way through school isn't proof weed is harmless. I was functional for 90% of the time I smoked. I was an entreprenuer. I was active. But no matter how well I did - looking back now outside the haze of weed - I know I could have done better. ALOT better. And I realize that during the times in my life I stopped smoking - that's when I did do ALOT better. The times without weed were - without a doubt - the happiest days of my life.

I won't hate on you for feeling like I once did. I understand where you're coming from completely. But you're wrong ;)
johnrlivingston

Likes Received: 115

Postby lynne66 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:56 pm

I don't understand why people get on here at all with some of this nonsense about pot is so much better than medications. Are you sure? Can you make such a blanket statement for everyone? Why use anything at all that has the potential to totally mess up your life and your brain chemistry if you can use other things that may take some work or not get you "high"? I just don't get why people get on this addiction forum and do this.

Very defensive and weird, if you ask me....not to mention insensitive and ignorant. But forgive them we must, I guess. It's a public place, but still....

I'm off all that Sh*t and glad of it as time goes on....
lynne66
Preferred Member

Postby Mrs_No_Name » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:13 pm

I find it a little odd that Grandson joined January 2010 but first post some four and a half years later.

I doubt he'll read the replies as it was back in July but a sign up in the month of January would lead me to think that he did have good intentions of cleaning up (new years' resolution ?) and joined but didn't follow through.

Grandson if you are reading, if you did sign up hoping to give up then we are with you.
Mrs_No_Name

Likes Received: 3

Postby lynne66 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:47 pm

Interesting. Yes, Join us, Grandson if you are reading.
lynne66
Preferred Member

Next