Just making sure...

Postby Ihceik » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 am

Hi guys,

I've recently just re-located to Japan for a job opportunity (and as you can guess, I had to quit MJ). It's been a month and a half now and I've noticed I've been getting what seems to be panic attacks. Can't focus, like I have no mental clarity and feel like I'm in a constant daze. I feel as if I am near going to faint and feeling tired. I thought I was dying, then I realised... is this part of the withdrawal process? Bare in mind I've been a Chronic smoker for the past 6 years, (With a few months off here and there) but never quite experienced the withdrawals as being as severe as this. After spending hours trying to figure out why I have been feeling this way, it only makes sense that it's withdrawals. The panic attack feeling sucks but the brain fog feeling really gets to me and I start to freak out. I guess I just need someone to re-affirm that the symptoms I am experiencing is the result of said chronic abuse and that it is normal to experience said symptoms. Hope all is well guys on your front. Thank you for your time.
Ihceik

Likes Received: 7

Postby Ihceik » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Where is the love y'all? :(
Ihceik

Postby bvl » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi lhceik,

I know how important reassurance is and as far as I can tell you are describing the exact symptoms of PAWS. I've been in your shoes and I want to be realistic with you and tell you that you will have a hard time but they will subside in time and eventually go away.

Quitting weed and moving to Japan at the same time is a stressful thing and you will have many awkward thoughts along the way. You have to accept what is and move along patiently.

Good luck
bvl

Likes Received: 16

Postby NoMoreWeedMR » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:02 am

bvl wrote:Hi lhceik,

I know how important reassurance is and as far as I can tell you are describing the exact symptoms of PAWS. I've been in your shoes and I want to be realistic with you and tell you that you will have a hard time but they will subside in time and eventually go away.

Quitting weed and moving to Japan at the same time is a stressful thing and you will have many awkward thoughts along the way. You have to accept what is and move along patiently.

Good luck

I totally agree with Bvl, the symptoms are exactly how i felt after stop with MJ..

Im almost 6months off and still have this episodes, but so less than when i stop...
Takes time to ur brain restore the normal function without weed.
Accept it and take care of u, be patient..it will pass
NoMoreWeedMR

Likes Received: 2

Postby johnrlivingston » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:26 am

Everything you're experiencing is common for weed withdrawal. I'd say anxiety and everything is causes (including panic attacks) is the number-one symptom everyone experiences. I've experienced everything you've mentioned and a whole lot more.

It's also common for withdrawal symptoms to change both in type & severity from one quit to the next (for the same person).

Read as many stories as you can here. You'll notice undeniable patterns and realize that you're not alone.
johnrlivingston

Likes Received: 115

Postby weed_victim » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:26 pm

The first minths for me were very difficult. The worst months of my entire life. I got a new job at that period and was hard with all that mental fck. I was really thinking of committing suicide. I even had a plan ready if i decided to. Things got better very slowly. Life is somwhat livable right now. I hope this nightmare ends soon.

Be patient buddy.
weed_victim

Postby johnrlivingston » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Just as you reassured me, weed victim, let me do the same for you. The fact things are improving means that recovery is inevitable. And we'll be stronger, better people for the experience.

I truly believe that in the end we'll be able to look back on this experience and be thankful for it.
johnrlivingston

Postby Ihceik » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:11 am

Hi guys, thank you for your replies. Yeah, it seemed to be going alright (In the sense I was able to manage it fairly effectively)... until I had a drinkin' binge with a buddy (I drink very rarely). The next day I felt absolutely terrible, hypersensitive to the hangover, anxiety was through the roof, tried sleeping but couldn't because of the anxiety and my right ear got blocked which freaked me out even further. It's the next day and I couldn't turn in for work, as practically had no sleep and feel super light headed. At the moment, I am feeling lightheaded, confused, got anxiety and a tad depressed, not good. Can anyone recommend things to do to make you feel better? I want to go out for a walk but I know it won't end well, I feel very light on my feet and fear passing out on the way (especially in a foreign country!) Oh man, this sucks so bad! :(
Ihceik

Postby johnrlivingston » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Yeah... I've found that alcohol use during weed withdrawal makes me feel terrible. And I used to be a daily drinker. I quit both at the same time, not only because I couldn't tolerate alcohol very well, but also because it inhibits your mind's ability to heal.

Hopefully you're feeing better now!
johnrlivingston

Postby Ihceik » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:49 am

Hi all, thought I would update. I was feeling much better 6 months on! But I had to return back to my home country due to a family death. As you can imagine, I was pretty traumatized by the event and had the issues that smoking a joint would give some peace for awhile! So I smoked the littlest amount you could imagine and I ended up with a full blown panic attack high. After the attack my anxiety has been sky high it'a got much better his past week. However, the feeling of being spaced out still gets to me. Because I smoked again, does this mean I'm relapsing from the start again and the reason I feeling Derealization? Or is an effect of the anxiety caused by said event? Please bare in mind I'm 6 weeks in quitting tobacco so I'm sure that's affecting the way I feel somehow. Has anyone been through this? Any support or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
Ihceik

Postby Icculus » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the death in your family, my condolences. Having to deal with a death can be very hard, I can understand why you wanted to smoke again. I'm sure some of the anxiety comes from not using tobacco as well. While I have not been through this, all I can say is, stay strong and do something to put your mind at ease. For me, listening to music on headphones has been great. It helps to block out a lot of whats going on around me so that I do not get anxious or angry at what is going on around me.
I don't think that you are relapsing, just having a tough time with the situation at hand, and it is understandable. Talk with someone close to you about your feelings, that might help as well.

Keep your chin up, and try to smile. YOU CAN DO IT!
Icculus

Likes Received: 1

Postby Ihceik » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:15 am

Hi Icculus, thank you for your thoughtful reply. I think I am going through the whole process again, everything seems to be at the extreme again. But for some reason (or I just can't recall it) I've been getting intense headaches, everytime you walk it feels like your head thumps with it. Is this common? Last thing I need to is to create a self perpetuating cycle of anxiety thinking it's a brain tumour! Can anyone identify with the headaches too?
Ihceik

Postby NateTGreat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi ihceik,

I can relate to all you've described. I am 9.5 months cannabis free and still feeling symptoms daily. I am grateful to say that things have slowly improved, though now I am dealing with a fainting type feeling almost constantly. I even have to cut back my exercising intensity as it can induce this feeling more it seems. I recently saw a doctor about it and he said it is still anxiety from cannabis withdrawal and my brain healing. I am probably in the best physical shape of my life the way I have been taking care, but my mental/emotional state is still very inconsistent. I must admit that I have had a few days recently where I felt very at peace and confident that I am normal again. Unfortunately, these days are still out numbered by the bad days. Aside from the feeling of feeling faint nearly constantly, I am feeling slight depression, depersonalization, irritability, heart palpitations(though they have decreased significantly) and occasional lightheadedness. I am also thankful that I am mostly pain free. I no longer get unbearable headaches and or body pain like earlier in the process. The neuropathy that I dealt with in my hands and feet for the first 7 months is pretty much non-existent now too.

Like many on this thread, my full recovery to a normal happy me is going to take longer than the 10 months I'm approaching. I am giving myself 2 years before I decide on whether or not this problem will require other medical intervention. Having read so many other's stories about a long recovery, I am very hopeful that it is only a matter of time before things are feeling right within me again. It's been the hardest time of my life getting through this all, but this forum and its posters have gone a long way at keeping me sane and on the right path.

I wish you the best. Take care.
NateTGreat

Likes Received: 34

Postby Ihceik » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi Nate,

Thank you for your reply. Congratulations on 9.5 months, that's fantastic. It would be 7 months for me, but I had 1 drag (Literally 1 tiny drag!) off a joint 1.5 months ago and had a panic attack high. So I've restarted my quit counter to 1.5 months ago. I believe we will all be fine in due time. If anything, it would be fair to say we should abstain from weed every year we were on it! So for it to be 2 years for 2+ years of MJ abuse sounds like a good trade to me. I am extremely hopeful (like most things) that this is simply a case of time. We just need to give our bodies and minds time to re-adjust and to reprogram our thought processes to adapt to our new way of living whilst actively rejecting how we used to live (as a protective measure to deter us from relapsing). Keep me updated! I also wish you the best and take care. Until next time!
Ihceik

Postby Ihceik » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:17 pm

Didn't realise it, but my last post was exactly 2 months since I had the panic attack high.

Will detail my symptoms as of yet:

DP/DR - I've learned to accept it and it seems to be easier to deal with. But there are certain points of the day where it hits hard and I have to pull myself out from it and calm myself down.

Health anxieties- I'd read something and I freak myself out thinking and fearing the same will happen to me. e.g reading up on schizophrenia (fear of voices in my head)

Anxiety - Causing OCD type thoughts, increased heart rate and fear of dying.

Also random body pains - Does anyone else get that?

Been trying to drink as much water as I can, but sometimes I become to lax and do not bother. Should be exercising more but can't muster up the energy half the time. I think the mental fatigue present from the abuse and having to constantly reassure yourself that you are fine makes me tired...

Good luck to all and peace out!
Ihceik

Next