Cannabis withdrawals after 5 months clean

Postby NateTGreat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Samin,

I experienced similar panic attacks for the first few months after quitting. I quit after experiencing the worst panic attack of my life after vaporizing bubble hash. I used heavily for 10 years straight and 18 years total. I would mainly get the attacks after falling asleep at night. All the things you describe I experienced. Numb arms and legs, room spinning, feeling like I was going to faint, shortness of breath, my hearing was muffled. It was a very scary time. I am 18 months clean and I can say that the terror is mostly gone. I am still not 100% normal, however. I actually still have the occasional night of insomnia or 'mini panic attack' in the middle of the night. Daily, I still experience waves of dizziness, fatigue, head pressure or head burning sensations. I get occasional skipped heart beats and atrial fibrillation episodes as well. All of these symptoms are to a much lesser intensity and frequency than the first 6 months after I quit.

My recommendation would be to seek out a well-qualified mental therapist who is familiar with addiction or more specifically cannabis withdrawal. Having smoked for only 40 days, it could be possible that you triggered an anxiety disorder. I am not qualified to diagnose anyone so please get professional opinions. However, what you describe, I went through, as have many others on this forum. And, pretty much everyone here would agree that it was heavy cannabis use and subsequent withdrawal which caused all of their maladies.

I believe that with enough time and nourishment, the human body can heal itself. It may be a very difficult time, but I would suggest abstaining from mind altering substances and do the best you can to take care of your health. I have found that using a high-quality magnesium supplement like Natural Calm or ReMag liquid ionic magnesium does wonders to reduce anxiety and depression. I was actually clinically tested to have a very low RBC Magnesium level, which is not unusual for those under a lot of stress. I have begun a strict magnesium supplementation regimen over the past 3 months and have actually been feeling much better. I believe magnesium deficiency to be a main cause to anxiety, depression, heart palpitations, and all of the other symptoms associated with PAWS.

What you are going through is not abnormal for those withdrawing from cannabis or those that used heavily. I would still get professional help just for reassurance. Be kind and find peace.
NateTGreat

Likes Received: 36

Postby cryingsoul » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:15 am

NateTGreat wrote:Samin,

I experienced similar panic attacks for the first few months after quitting. I quit after experiencing the worst panic attack of my life after vaporizing bubble hash. I used heavily for 10 years straight and 18 years total. I would mainly get the attacks after falling asleep at night. All the things you describe I experienced. Numb arms and legs, room spinning, feeling like I was going to faint, shortness of breath, my hearing was muffled. It was a very scary time. I am 18 months clean and I can say that the terror is mostly gone. I am still not 100% normal, however. I actually still have the occasional night of insomnia or 'mini panic attack' in the middle of the night. Daily, I still experience waves of dizziness, fatigue, head pressure or head burning sensations. I get occasional skipped heart beats and atrial fibrillation episodes as well. All of these symptoms are to a much lesser intensity and frequency than the first 6 months after I quit.

My recommendation would be to seek out a well-qualified mental therapist who is familiar with addiction or more specifically cannabis withdrawal. Having smoked for only 40 days, it could be possible that you triggered an anxiety disorder. I am not qualified to diagnose anyone so please get professional opinions. However, what you describe, I went through, as have many others on this forum. And, pretty much everyone here would agree that it was heavy cannabis use and subsequent withdrawal which caused all of their maladies.

I believe that with enough time and nourishment, the human body can heal itself. It may be a very difficult time, but I would suggest abstaining from mind altering substances and do the best you can to take care of your health. I have found that using a high-quality magnesium supplement like Natural Calm or ReMag liquid ionic magnesium does wonders to reduce anxiety and depression. I was actually clinically tested to have a very low RBC Magnesium level, which is not unusual for those under a lot of stress. I have begun a strict magnesium supplementation regimen over the past 3 months and have actually been feeling much better. I believe magnesium deficiency to be a main cause to anxiety, depression, heart palpitations, and all of the other symptoms associated with PAWS.

What you are going through is not abnormal for those withdrawing from cannabis or those that used heavily. I would still get professional help just for reassurance. Be kind and find peace.

2 1/2 weeks of quitting after 4 yrs of heavy smoking everyday. The anxiety, tinnitus and hot/cold flashes are the worst. I'm just so scared sometimes. It seems like I have a good day then the next day is horrifying. If it wasn't for this forum I don't what I would do.
cryingsoul

Likes Received: 6

Postby bvl » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:49 pm

Nate, do read some of my older posts. You'll see that absolutely everything that you experience is extremely similar to my story and as well as bobthebuilder's story.

Trust me, I really know you are having an extremely difficult time (words can describe these awful symptoms) but you have to be patient. Hang in there and you're brain will gradually recover and you'll be normal again.

Don't give up, there's so many of us that have been in your shoes...
bvl

Likes Received: 17

Postby NateTGreat » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks bvl,

Your words of encouragement really mean a lot to me. I am 18 months clean and I must say I have fallen into a rough time. This entire past 2 months have been so up and down. One day I feel like I'm getting closer to normal and clear-headed, the next day I'm wrought with depression, a dazed out head, and dizziness..etc. etc. I just don't feel that sense of joy for life lately. I eat well, I try to exercise when I'm not so out of it I can barely get out of bed. It's just so hard coming this far and still not feeling happy, or well for that matter. I just feel like I'm burnt out on trying to get better. I just have accepted that I am going to feel like this forever, or that something is seriously wrong with my brain.I just can't believe that I would still be experiencing these symptoms after 18 months. I want to believe that there will be a day that I am completely over all of these, but it still seems much longer down the road than 2 years..

Peace be to all.
NateTGreat

Postby kmankoolman » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:02 am

Hey man, I applaud you on being clean for 5 months. Keep working hard.
kmankoolman

Likes Received: 0

Postby Dave1984 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:01 am

Hey guys,

I've been posting on another thread but i just want to say how comforting it feels knowing that its not just me that feels like this. Same symptoms as all of you's. I'm so glad i found you's! I first thought my heart was going to pack in, then it was a brain tumour & now i feel its my lungs because my back & neck hurts! I only stopped on the 15th December 2015 so im still at the early stages of withdrawal after years of chronic abuse. I still think im going to die but reading your stories has really helped me tonight. This is nuts eh! I'm going out of my mind here with withdrawals. MRI coming soon & waiting on blood test results. I hope everything's fine but it seems the norm with this green crap. Its my own fault though. I feel so alone because nobody else around me understands what this stuff actually does to your body, especially if you abuse it like me.

I've been fine for hours, (I've had a few rums, Christmas Day was a bit of a wash out because of it all) and now the headache pressure is back & im back to how I was feeling earlier. I hope you's all get through this like troopers because if you think about it, thats what we all are as this is a such a horrible situation to go through. Who would have thought this could happen eh? I sure didnt.
Dave1984

Likes Received: 1

Postby jergar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:32 am

Hi all i have been cannabis free for about 2 months after 30 years of
use, abuse. Had heart palpitations and dizziness after smoking almost every time
that's why i quit. Found out I was magnesium deficient also. Anyway had some of the same symptoms as a few here. Couldn't sleep, high blood pressure also was really freaking me out!
Started taking magnesium powder, along with vitamin d3 and k2 , after researching all my symptoms and going on a high protein low carbs diet also. My symptoms have all but vanished after 2 weeks . You may want to give this a try , its working for me . I had Gad for years , that's why i was self medicating with cannabis in the first place. I no longer have anxiety attacks at this writing. Hope this helps some of you here. I don't know if cannabis causes magnesium deficiency or not but it might be good to look into. Hope this helps some of you !
jergar

Postby endofdelta9 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:16 am

Hi jergar

absolutely right MJ causes magnesium deficiency it is documented on you tube somewhere i too got high Blood pressure from smoking and heart palpitations i certainly think there is a connection of high heart rate and high BP

that is great to hear what helped you besides quitting and me too i am clean 1/12 years to he day and my anxiety is gone thank you for your post jergar wonderful to hear you are doing good

it is so worth it

Delta9
endofdelta9

Postby HDog455 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:57 am

I wouldn't wish it on anyone but there is nothing like a health scare when it comes to needing a reason to quit. After seeing some ads on TV about prostate cancer I convinced myself that I had it. This was the straw that broke the camel's back - I immediately went cold turkey with both pot and booze.

After three months I worked up the courage to see the doctor only to be told that there was nothing wrong with me except for a slightly enlarged prostate - a common thing amongst middle aged men. By that time I was well past the point of no return in regard to smoking pot - never went back.
HDog455
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 93

Postby Anewchapter » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:11 am

jergar wrote:Started taking magnesium powder, along with vitamin d3 and k2 , after researching all my symptoms and going on a high protein low carbs diet also. My symptoms have all but vanished after 2 weeks .

I've done most of above too and found it as helped. I take magnesium at night and vitamin d3 in the morning. I'm also doing a low carb diet. I've cut out grains, sugar, all processed foods, and only eat grass fed and organic meats. Changing my eating habits has definitely helped, I feel more focused, have less anxiety, and I'm not so emotional. I had to stop eating gluten anyway, as I have an intolerance. If I accidentally ate something with gluten, I'd have stomach cramps, bloating, felt emotionally unstable, and my anxiety returned. Cutting out the processed foods prevents that from happening.
Anewchapter

Likes Received: 24

Postby jergar » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi All,
Everyone thanks for the support! Glad i found this site good to know im not going through this
by myself! I wish you all the best. Delta9 are you taking any nutritional supplements? Yeah i've read that grass feed meats have a ton of nutrition that we all need. Will have to find some in my area. The magnesium is working wonders, but don't take too much before bed, i found that out the other night didn't sleep till 4am , but actually felt great after i did go to sleep. And was calm when i was awake. Still learning how this mineral works. Peace!
jergar

Postby lmcbride » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:23 pm

Funny timing this post reappeared!

I just hit 5 months clean on the 16th :)

I've recently been hit with a little wave of PAWS, but as many have observed on here, these waves lessen in terms of length and severity as time goes on.

Prior to this wave of PAWS, Ive been noticing tremendous improvements. My anxiety is nonexistent THANK GOD. Never experienced anything like that in my life.

Main symptoms I'm still dealing with are foggy headedness and DP/DR, but I will make it through. Next month marks a f'ing half a year clean! Insane :)

Keep up the fight everyone---we will make it to the other side!!
lmcbride

Likes Received: 69

Postby Coley546 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:13 am

Every part of your story sounds like mine. I'm at 6 and a half months sober and been having a rough patch again this week. I guess the big question we all need to ask ourselves, and what I've been starting to ask myself is, is this really paws or did I have anxiety problems all along that were masked by the weed? That's my biggest fear cuz then there is no light at the end of the tunnel is there. It's a life long struggle then. And after 6 months like this I don't won't to think of a future like this. Yah exercise helps but the symptoms always return. Meditation, pills, their all just band aids that fall off. Just wish I knew how to tell the two apart, paws or anxiety, then I could divide and conquer better I think.
Coley546

Postby jergar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:18 am

Hi Coley,
I had Generalized anxiety disorder, thats why i started smoking weed in the first place.
After i quit , i started taking magnesium powder because smoking weed lowers your magnesium levels. You may have to replace this like did, i haven't had any anxiety attacks.
I have read that mag deficiency causes anxiety attacks . I take it and keeps me calm. You may want to take some bee pollen also it has all the vitamins and aminos and minerals we need.
It seems to working for me. I think good nutrition is the key. Only took me 30 Yrs. to find it out!
Hope you do better . Research magnesium and bee pollen. I switched to bee pollen so i dont have to take a bunch of vitamin pills. Peace!
jergar

Postby Strongheaded » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:13 am

Hi guys, , I'm a 37 year old woman that just quit from smoking mj one month ago and it is been hell. The thing is that I only smoked for 8 months every day. I stopped because I had this panic attack (same symptoms as you guys describe) that took me to emergency room, and today it is not as bad but still having a lot of anxiety and headaches, and I can't sleep. I have a 3 year old son that needs all my energy and care, I really want to feel fine. Thanks for this post I know I'm not the only one that is having the same situation, I hope all you guys get better.
Strongheaded

PreviousNext