Cannabis withdrawals after 5 months clean

Postby netty28661 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi lynne, sorry about the delay, not been on the computer since Monday.

Yes certainly in the first year everything was very foggy & difficult, my job can be stressfull & difficult aswell which doesn't help. I actually felt like a zombie through lack of sleep, the depression & stress was a massive thing aswell.

Honestly I'm so massively different now I'd have never believed it & I'm always thanking my lucky stars that I'm fit, healthy & very happy!

Love to you - you're doing so well!
Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 59

Postby NateTGreat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Greetings once again friends,

I thought I'd post and update on my struggles with cannabis withdrawal (PAWS). Tomorrow will mark my 6 full months of cannabis abstinence. I know i should feel happy about this acheivement, but the suffering that I am enduring currently is sapping all of my enthusiasm. So, around the Thanksgiving holiday I started to actually feel pretty decent again. I thought,' looks like the worst is behind me...'. That Thanksgiving weekend I enjoyed the company of friends and family and probably felt the best I have felt throughout the entire withdrawal process. The following week I continued to improve and decided to 'go with it'. In other words, I made the most of my time spent feeling good for once. I pushed myself at the gym all week. I took care of lost duties around the house. I even got a clean bill of health on my brain from a neurology visit and MRI scan on my head. Unfortunately, as expected, my joy was smothered when on the 6th of December, i had an episode of atrial fibrillation. Fortunately it only lasted a few hours and I didn't need medical attention, but it was the start of another downward spiral of symptoms. So most of last week I was stricken with a deep depression(SAD), low motivation, and depersonalization. There were a few good days mixed in there, but mostly it was a bad week. I tried to stay as positive as I could and attempted to work it out at the gym, but was thwarted by my nemesis, the dizzy spells from hell. A side note on that. Despite all of the symptoms I've gone through, these incessant periods of a lightheaded wobbly feeling is by far the worst. I can take the pain( which hasn't really been a problem for me as of late), I can take the depression, even a little anxiety too. But, the feeling of being on a boat on rocky seas all day long has really been the most miserable part. I would really like to know the cause(anxiety?) in an attempt to remedy it with some kind of supplement. Well, two days ago things got even worse. I woke up from a fairly decent sleep, about 7 hours only to feel like my head was buzzing and again the dizziness all day. Ruined my whole day. Yesterday the same thing. And then, last night at about 1am I awoke in panic, much like in the first couple months. Granted it wasn't as severe of an attack, but it was an attack for sure. Heart rate increase, spinning in bed, tingling hands and feet, twitching muscles, and muffled hearing. Also, another symptom that bothers me, and comes and goes in waves like everything else, is the numbness/cold feeling in the tips of some of my fingers and toes. I especially get it in my right pinky finger and my left toes. I assume it's another symptom of anxiety, but it is unnerving nonetheless.
Honestly, I would have never imaged that this is where I would be after 6 months clean; still moping through life waiting for the PAWS to all be over. Don't get me wrong, I've gained so much more appreciation for my existence and for the good moments I have, but I still seriously feel like I will never feel healthy and happy again...sorry to complain, I know I am making great progress and taking great care of myself and that things are slowly getting better over time, but I am just at my wits end and feel like I've gone backwards in the process, again.

Thanks for listening and peace be with you all.
NateTGreat

Likes Received: 36

Postby johnrlivingston » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:00 pm

I just hit 3 months, Nate. 1/2 way to where you're at. But I can relate well to your story. I just added another entry to my journal here, being in a very positive mood, and very thrilled with the progress I've made thus-far. And yet - no more than 1-2 weeks ago, I was feeling very hopeless. Last week, in fact, I avoided even writing an entry because I was feeling so low.

That's the power of the depression that comes on when you least expect it... it erases all memory and feeling of the progress we've made so far. It makes us feel like we've been in nothing but misery the entire time when, in fact, we've had many good days.

Keep the faith! It's strange how we can recognize - rationally - that we've made progress, and continue to, while feeling exactly the opposite. I'm often forced to remind myself that my emotions often aren't based on the reality of my situation.

As for the afib, do you believe your concern over it (fear of dying) is what triggered another bad episode of anxiety / depression?

Again - ALL of the physical symptoms you mention can be associated with anxiety (chills, numbness, dizziness, etc). Not saying they are - but they certainly can be.
johnrlivingston

Likes Received: 116

Postby NateTGreat » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks for the reply, John, and much congrats to you for your 3 months clean. I hope that your progress improves with each passing day.

Yeah I'm sure my worry and depression last week was in part to having the a fib episode. Just when I think that I'm done with the palpitations/afib episodes, BAM! They come back. It is quite discouraging, but I do tend to deal with it much better now. I don't believe that the a fib was the whole reason for my depression though. I mean, my mood has been all over the place in the span of one day. I don't believe I'm bipolar as the symptoms of depression aren't suicidal, nor are my high points excessively manic, but I do belive that most of my symptoms are still from my neuro chemistry healing and rebalancing rather than just worrisome thoughts. I really don't know what else to believe anymore or even what to do about any of it but just wait and hope. So, here's to a bright and healthy future to all of us struggling.
NateTGreat

Postby Davinci » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:33 pm

netty28661 wrote:
The lack of sleep was so debilitating & I was severly depressed/anxious etc.

Hello Netty!

Thanks for that post, it really encourage us to keep going.

Let me ask you. When you sleep return to normal? Im now having gigantic problems with sleep, and I have afraid that i had develop some kind of sleep disorder, since im getting 3-4 hours sleep max and it also give me a lot of anxiety and depression.

Thanks !!
Davinci

Likes Received: 13

Postby netty28661 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi davinci, I was EXACTLY the same - I was absolutely convinced I had a sleep disorder, to the extent there was a program on british TV about sleep disorders & I took part in an online program to help. I was only getting about 3 or 4 hours - it was just awful! The answer was to stay awake till about 3 in the morning & get back up at 6 am. I never really tried it properly so dont know whether it worked. After being clean 12 months I started to turn a corner, I started to meditate which in turn helped me relax properly & eventually helped me sleep. My sleep gradually got better over the second year & its now fairly normal apart from I'm in my early 50's & suffering menopausal hot flushes (sorry thats probably too much info, lol).

I never thought I'd feel normal or sleep normally again, but in my experience I do feel normal & I do slepp MUCH better.

Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Postby Davinci » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:04 am

netty28661 wrote:Hi davinci, I was EXACTLY the same - I was absolutely convinced I had a sleep disorder, to the extent there was a program on british TV about sleep disorders & I took part in an online program to help. I was only getting about 3 or 4 hours - it was just awful! The answer was to stay awake till about 3 in the morning & get back up at 6 am. I never really tried it properly so dont know whether it worked. After being clean 12 months I started to turn a corner, I started to meditate which in turn helped me relax properly & eventually helped me sleep. My sleep gradually got better over the second year & its now fairly normal apart from I'm in my early 50's & suffering menopausal hot flushes (sorry thats probably too much info, lol).

I never thought I'd feel normal or sleep normally again, but in my experience I do feel normal & I do slepp MUCH better.

Jannette

1 year to start getting some good sleep? Oh my....

Janette, do you made a post after your 1 year mark? Can you send me the link?

Thanks!!
Davinci

Postby Broken stoner » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:06 am

I'm 7 months clean, and I wake up at 3-5 pm everyday because it takes me 2-4 hours to fall asleep. Completely messed up my sleeping schedual when I try to fix it by staying up 24hrs it just goes back to being messed up.
Broken stoner

Likes Received: 41

Postby netty28661 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:02 am

Hi davinci, I had a thread at the 1 year mark, I think also at 2 years, I posted more in the 1st year as that was obviously when I was was at my worst. Just go into the search option & type in my user name. I have to say that after the 1 year mark I posted on other peoples threads rather than have my own.

Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Postby Salsa » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:48 pm

NateTGreat wrote:Greetings once again friends,

Unfortunately, as expected, my joy was smothered when on the 6th of December, i had an episode of atrial fibrillation. Fortunately it only lasted a few hours and I didn't need medical attention, but it was the start of another downward spiral of symptoms. So most of last week I was stricken with a deep depression(SAD), low motivation, and depersonalization. There were a few good days mixed in there, but mostly it was a bad week. I tried to stay as positive as I could and attempted to work it out at the gym, but was thwarted by my nemesis, the dizzy spells from hell. A side note on that. Despite all of the symptoms I've gone through, these incessant periods of a lightheaded wobbly feeling is by far the worst. I can take the pain( which hasn't really been a problem for me as of late), I can take the depression, even a little anxiety too. But, the feeling of being on a boat on rocky seas all day long has really been the most miserable part. I would really like to know the cause(anxiety?) in an attempt to remedy it with some kind of supplement. Well, two days ago things got even worse. I woke up from a fairly decent sleep, about 7 hours only to feel like my head was buzzing and again the dizziness all day. Ruined my whole day. Yesterday the same thing. And then, last night at about 1am I awoke in panic, much like in the first couple months. Granted it wasn't as severe of an attack, but it was an attack for sure. Heart rate increase, spinning in bed, tingling hands and feet, twitching muscles, and muffled hearing. Also, another symptom that bothers me, and comes and goes in waves like everything else, is the numbness/cold feeling in the tips of some of my fingers and toes. I especially get it in my right pinky finger and my left toes. I assume it's another symptom of anxiety, but it is unnerving nonetheless.

Man I feel you so much. I have/had exactly the same symptoms.

That dizziness is terrible. Sometimes when I walk around I feel like I am a living zombie waking on a boat just waiting when I'll crush to the ground. It's f***ing anxiety.

Hang in there and I hope it will get better soon.
Salsa
Preferred Member

Postby Davinci » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:56 pm

netty28661 wrote:Hi davinci, I had a thread at the 1 year mark, I think also at 2 years, I posted more in the 1st year as that was obviously when I was was at my worst. Just go into the search option & type in my user name. I have to say that after the 1 year mark I posted on other peoples threads rather than have my own.

Jannette

Thanks Jannete.

Let me ask you. Besides meditation do you have another tips to overcome insomnia?

I read in other topicos that you also start exercising. Im trying do exercise but after sleeping 3 hours is really hard to get motivated.

Do you think that the meditation helps you or was is the time off of weed?

Sorry for all those questions. But lack of sleep is really bad for me , and it only started after I had a emotional breakout with weed.
Davinci

Postby olskoolru » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 am

NateTGreat wrote:Hello all,

I just wanted to post a quick description of my struggles with cannabis withdrawal. My hope is to gain more understanding of what my outlook may be, as well as to help anyone else struggling with quitting cannabis.
My relationship with cannabis has been on-going for nearly 20 years. I had been using daily for 10 years high grade products. The past 2 years I had been strictly vaporizing flowers, hash, and oil extracts multiple times daily. Towards the end of my use, I noticed increased anxiety and overall malaise from using. My reason to quit was the worst experience of my life, in which I fainted for 15 seconds, fell, and proceeded to have the worst panic attack for 6 hrs. From that point on, I called it quits. That was June 18th, 2014.
I have been to the ER twice since then and many other doctor visits to see if the re was any disease linked to my symptoms. So far nothing has been found wrong with me. I have had thyroid and general blood work done. I have had my adrenals tested. None of the tests have come back abnormal. I have an appointment with a neurologist in two weeks.
So, to this very day this is what I am going through. The first 6 weeks of withdrawal were the worst. Sever anxiety, shakes, no appetite, no sleep, headaches, panic attacks, numbness in my extremities, etc. The worst of it was waking up 1 hour after dosing off each night in a panic in which I was shaking, was spinning in my bed, and had numb hands and feet. Thankfully, those days seem to be behind me. Unfortunately, the symptoms I'm experiencing the past month are still making me miserable. I still can't sleep more than 5 hours each night, usually waking 4-5 times a night. If I do sleep decent, I wake up feeling almost paralyzed or out-of-body. I seem to get dizzy spells that can last anywhere from 12 to 48 hours. I am chronically fatigued and demotivated. I have pressure in my head that comes and goes. Headaches aren't as bad as they used to be, but still come and go. I experience depersonalization and depression pretty regularly. Anxiety still exists, but not as bad as the first 2 months. Panic attacks are almost non existent. Nonetheless, I feel like I'm only 50% functional at best and have lost lol semblance of my spirit and enthusiasm.
Anyway, it seems these symptoms come and go in waves lasting from a week to a day. I have actually had a few days where I feel pretty good or even 'normal' but eventually it is back to feeling terrible again. I have taken no prescription meds other than a few benzos in the early stages when the panic got too unbearable. I use no other drugs or alcohol, and avoid caffein and sugar at all costs. I am just trying to allow my brain and body heal after what was obviously years of trauma that have made me this way. I eat healthy and try to exercise if I'm not feeling too dizzy or fatigued, which hasn't been too often these days. I know that I have a long road ahead and I accept that. I just need to know if others have gone through this much misery after 5 months. I have read others accounts on this forum and am grateful for their testimonies. They have been more helpful than the doctors I've seen, who only push me more benzos and anti depressants, not knowing what I am going through. I still am in disbelief that I could still be experiencing withdrawal symptoms this severe after 5 months. Why!?! Thanks for listening.

Holy sh**! I had to scroll all the way up to make sure I wasn't reading one of my early posts.

Hang in there Nate! What you are going through seems identical to what I went through. I am almost at my 2 year mark and I don't feel nearly as horrible as you are feeling now. I took a turn for the best around a year and a half. Maybe you'll get better much faster. Maybe not... BUT YOU WILL GET BETTER. I bet $$$$ on that!

Bless you and hang in there!

OSR
olskoolru
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 88

Postby NateTGreat » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello again everybody,

I wanted to update my status. I want to start by thanking everyone again for their stories and words of encouragement. This forum has essentially saved my sanity and probably my life.

Next week I will be 7 months clean from cannabis use. This has been the hardest 7 months of my life.

As the PAWS rollercoaster continues, I really started to feel pretty decent just right before Christmas. I was considering it to be a blessing to be able to enjoy time with family and friends nearly symptom free, aside from a little anxiety. I even had the courage to play hockey and attend a new year's eve party (no drugs or alcohol for me :D ). This stretch of 'good' days lasted about 10 days long until this past Sunday at which time I awoke at 1:45am with another episode of Atrial Fibrillation. I decided to wait out the episode to see if my heart would convert to normal rhythm on its own without drugs. Well, after 4 hours of waiting I became very stressed and symptomatic, so I decided to take the pill to convert me back to sinus rhythm. Finally, 13 hours later my heartbeat was normal again, but I was a mess. I had gotten no sleep, and was very depressed and defeated. I started to feel better as this past week continued. I even forced myself to continue eating, sleeping, thinking, and exercising well. And, by last night I felt I had moved past the whole episode, and felt like I was back on my feet again to recovery.

Not so fast. Then, out of nowhere, last night I got hit with a panic attack 30 minutes after drifting off to sleep. It wasn't a terribly awful attack, but it was enough to keep me awake. My thoughts made no sense, heart rate was slightly up, I felt like the bed was spinning, and essentially couldn't figure out what had caused this. I ended up getting about 4 hours of sleep, which is no where near the 7-8 I have been getting each night the past 3 weeks or so. I awoke with an incredible depression and out-of-body sensation that I haven't felt for at least 2 months. Essentially, I was incredibly sad and worried. I also had a chronic central serous retinopathy return in my left eye, most likely caused by this stressful night.

So, just like that, I feel like I have gone back a few months in the process, though I know that it is expected. After feeling so close to normal for 10 days only to go back to feeling like crap again, begs me to question if there is an underlying cause for all these symptoms. I mean, I'm pretty sure through all my research, that I am still pretty deficient in serotonin, as are most heavy cannabis users. I really just keep praying that time will heal it all and normal neurotransmitter levels will balance out.

Anyway, so at the moment I feel very miserable. I took 100mg of 5-htp about 2 hours ago and it may have improved my mood slightly, but I still feel out of it and like I'm not really here in my body.

Thanks again for listening, and my prayers go out to everyone struggling with this mess.
NateTGreat

Postby Salsa » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:03 pm

Good luck Nate. You're going to make it. You are very strong. It's just PAWS. Don't give up!!
Salsa
Preferred Member

Postby samin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:12 am

I have smoked marijuana with a friend without knowing about it .....and I started panic attacks after 40 days .....and I am feeling them for 1 month ....I have feelings of like everything is shaking and a sensations in my head ...and I m going to fall ..my bed is revolving. ...numbness of hands and feet and mouth ....and pain in chest ....is somebody other is going through the same?
samin

Likes Received: 0

PreviousNext