Law of Attraction and Psychology

Postby bawiii » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:30 pm

How does modern Psychology interact with the law of attraction?
bawiii

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:07 pm

Basically they don't interact. Psychology is a science, not a pseudo science. Ahem, but I will not go so far as to deny the existence of credentialed psychologists that pursue the benefits of pseudo science. Pseudo science can be quite lucrative and fun.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_a ... ew_Thought)
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1093

Postby bawiii » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:14 pm

Thank you for your reply. I have never heard the Law of Attraction to be associated with any science. Why would you call it a pseudo science?
bawiii

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:17 pm

bawiii wrote: I have never heard the Law of Attraction to be associated with any science. Why would you call it a pseudo science?

Never heard it associated with science? Google "the science behind the law of attraction". Here is one result.

http://www.mindreality.net/the-science- ... attraction

I call it pseudo science because it is often presented as science or connected to scientific research without any actual support existing in peer reviewed scientific studies.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby sakoz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:15 pm

bawill: Have you heard of alchemy? Alchemists tried to turn lead into gold. To-day that would be called pseudo science, yet it was the precursor of 'real' science.
I would say the Law of Attraction is laymen trying to use science. Even if the law of attraction is based on believing, believing does work.
Psychology and the law of attraction 'interact' via believing, their 'common ground'.
sakoz

Likes Received: 220

Postby bawiii » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Thank you sakoz, that's what I was looking for 'common ground'. The purview of science is strictly rooted in this physical reality that we can measure, see, touch, taste etc... I do not expect science to even acknowledge the Law of Attraction (though quantum physics is getting close) simply because it can not be measured from within this physical reality at this time. I do see how that understanding (and believing in) the Law of Attraction could greatly aid self-help as could modern physiology. It is the 'common ground' that I am looking for here. Do I understand correctly that the common ground is belief?
bawiii

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:04 pm

bawiii wrote: I do not expect science to even acknowledge the Law of Attraction.

Which is why there is limited if any credible interaction. As you pointed out there is no way to utilize the scientific method to observe the Law. Science is the wrong tool.

bawiii wrote:I do see how that understanding (and believing in) the Law of Attraction could greatly aid self-help

Yep. Beliefs can aid in self-help, but this does not mean the correct tool to investigate beliefs is science. Beliefs, such as the law of attraction cannot be falsified. Philosophy is a better tool for investigating beliefs.

Why do people try to use the tool of science to investigate beliefs? Many reasons, some with good intentions others with not so good intentions and some it is simply not understanding the difference between tools.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby sakoz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:57 pm

bawill: I agree with you; science cannot measure beliefs/believing. But we can measure the effects and affects of believing.
The beginning of quantum physics was the same way; every thing that is measurable has it's origin in the quantum level.
How can infinity be measured? Science starts with measurable sensory input. Yet scientists too started by inferring the existence of what they could not see directly, and lo and behold they recognized invisible quantum level.
bawill, I like this thread, let's explore further. The Law of Attraction is not far fetched, but it might be exaggerated at present.
sakoz

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:20 pm

sakoz wrote:bawill, I like this thread, let's explore further.

This should be fun. I'm interested to see where the exploration goes. I bet I can guess, but will hold my reaction to my thoughts for now.

*sits down with a big bowl of popcorn*
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby sakoz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:00 pm

bawiii; Let me give you a tip. When you sincerely believe a thought; don't present it as such here. Present it as hypothesis, inference, assumption. That way you avoid 'grief' when some will disparage what you believe. (and they will).
I had to learn the hard way. I learned to become immune to such statements about me and what I write about.
I initiate a calm state of mind no matter what they say. You'll be surprised what they reveal about themselves and how low some will stoop. :lol:
sakoz

Postby bawiii » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:38 pm

But I like popcorn too! What I find very interesting is that "Change is the only constant" is another of the Universal Laws like Law of Attraction.
Science is perfectly valid. Spirituality is perfectly valid. Beliefs are just thoughts that are thought over and over again until you embed them into your subby. I question all of my beliefs and that is in part why I initiated this thread.
At one point everyone thought that Earth was flat. Then it was spherical, now it back to flat as in a hologram -- just beliefs. The true question is do the beliefs bennefit you or do they hurt you. Does modern Psychology have a way to deal your beliefs?? Does Law of Attraction have a way?
Beliefs are real and they have very powerfull effects. Beliefs are all true for the believer.

OK I am ready for my grief!
bawiii

Postby bawiii » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:41 pm

BTW sakoz: thanks for the advise. Sometimes I like to stir it up.
bawiii

Postby Beloved » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:16 pm

Beloved
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 30

Postby bawiii » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:24 pm

My wife and I (of 25 years) are opposites in many ways so I would say Yes it works.
bawiii

Postby sakoz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:44 pm

bawiii; You wrote; "Beliefs are all true for the believer". I wrote in here, a ways back; "Beliefs always affect the believer". (Beliefs function as perceptions. Seeing is believing , but believing is also seeing.)

Thoughts are 'in between' sensory input and quantum. We can 'think' any thought,we want. If thoughts are derived from quantum energy, then thoughts are "The Law of Attraction" manifesting, we have access to quantum as we create thoughts.
What are the possibilities then?
sakoz

Next