depression after quitting weed HELP!

Postby harrydavids » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Hello all,

i am a long time reader first time poster, so im not sure if this is the correct place for me to post this, but let me cut the the chase.

Im 22 and i have been smoking weed just under 5 years, not really heavy but enough, i would have periods where i smoke alot and other weeks where i wouldnt really smoke but weed has been a big part of my life during this time, ive even been amsterdam 4 times just for weed!

i quit smoking on the 20th nov 2014 and since then i have been having anger issues towards my girlfriend, but the anger isnt really an issue, as that died down after the first few weeks. But i have been really depressed, ive never really understood how people could be depressed before i quit weed but i can tell you that know what it is now,

i dont want to do anything, i just lay in bed all day, i started taking 5htp amd it kind of helps but i dont want to depend on something to make me happy.

I use to be a ver happy child, but now i could win £1million today snd stilll feel like life is not good.

Can someone please tell me something that can keep me strong, and how long it took them to feel happy again. PLEASE.

Thank you in advance
harrydavids

Likes Received: 0

Postby JeremyH » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 pm

I think that your depression is connected with strng addiction to ciggaretes. Anyway, In my opinion you shoul find a hobby or something that will help you to develop your time and thinking.
JeremyH

Likes Received: 1

Postby TheCloud » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Why did you start smoking weed as a habit, and why did you quit?
TheCloud

Likes Received: 82

Postby deechman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:22 pm

Dude I know all about this...

I've been off weed more or less for a year and I've experienced that awful, consuming depression on and off for a while now. I'm not over it but I am making strides to get back on track and to feel better about life from day to day.

Here are some habits that I try to stick to and that really make a difference over time:
1) I started exercising in some form almost every day. This has also made me commit to my overall health (healthy eating, less drinking, no more cigs)
2) I write about my thoughts and interests which has made me so much more self aware.
3) I took up playing the guitar and I plan on picking up other instruments when I can afford it.
4) I started having more sex; not nasty random hookups...good sex with good people.
5) I cut down on TV time..when I do watch, it's a comedy of some sort.

Something to consider as well: Smoking weed is awesome in the moment but over time, Marijuana use profoundly affects your brain's physiology. Most notably, it reduces your neural ability to respond to dopamine. Dopamine is critical to maintaining motivation, reward and pleasure. I'll spare you a detailed lecture but you should research this in depth. You'll learn a lot about how to overcome depressing thoughts and stimulate pleasurable feelings without drugs.

My best piece of advice is to commit wholeheartedly to maintaining a good attitude no matter what. Figure out what's bringing you down and fix it. Then, help other people feel better about themselves..friends are powerful.

PS: don't be selfish...ask for help
deechman

Likes Received: 9

Postby deechman » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:49 pm

BTW I added you as a friend..keep me posted on how it's coming along
deechman

Likes Received: 9

Postby lynne66 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:22 am

Hi _ I've suffered from depression for years and I had a hard time coming off of cannabis at first and then fell into a severe depression this past six months. I've made it a year without cannabis. The rewards system in our brains needs time to heal and maybe we were self-medicating depression in the first. I have to realize though that I had severe depressions still using cannabis, so it was not a huge help....In fact, I've been reading that it can predispose certain people to more mental health problems than not. It takes quite a while for some for the brain to rebalance to the extent it ever will. You are young, so you have a good chance I hope.
lynne66
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 50

Postby LiveHere » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:12 am

I never smoke weed nor anything else ..

keep calm, give it some time, It's like an addiction , it will take time to feel okay without weed

in the mean time start exploring yourself, do things that you like , go to some place else

it wont be easy , it can be easy if you try to relax and let go off weed
LiveHere

Postby Zealot1.4 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:30 am

You should try and get evaluated to see if it really is the illness of depression
Zealot1.4