8 Days weed free. Why do I feel so numb?

Postby AugustNights89 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:32 pm

Hey everyone. I should start by saying I'm 25 years old and have been smoking on the daily since I was 16. Although I've always done well in school. I finished high school on time and even received a scholarship. I'm graduating college soon and my family wants to know why I haven't secured a decent job yet. I've had odd jobs in the past and job offers for great positions but could never pass the pre-employment drug tests. I have to start paying off some student loans and need a job asap. This is why I decided to quit smoking. Last Tuesday night I was looking for some smoke but the search was unsuccessful. Wednesday morning I woke feeling lost completely. This is my life I thought: all those years of school for this? Looking for weed when really I want to be looking for work. But I've been so discouraged because the jobs I want (and qualify for) require drug tests. So I made a heartfelt decision to just do it-Quit! And I did. The first day I was so determined to quit I googled detox naturally and went to Wal-mart to buy the essentials like detox tea, fresh greens, etc. Now it's been 8 entire days clean with several opportunities to use but I remained firm. The thing now is I don't feel the urge to use but I don't feel much of anything. I'm still excited to apply to jobs in a few week (when I'm clean.) Other than looking forward to paying some bills I'm numb. No withdrawals, some mild cravings but other than that, just numb. Anyone else have this problem?
AugustNights89

Likes Received: 1

Postby Wave » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:40 pm

Yea the depression and emptiness made my last quit fail. I take two amino acids (legal and pretty sure you will be fine with a drugs test), 1g tyrosine and 1g n acetyl carnitine first thing in the morning 20 mins before eating and massively improves my mood. Highly recommend you try this!
Wave
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 217

Postby tokeless » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi there, it may take longer to clear your system than that I'm afraid if you've smoked daily for that long.. you're looking at 2-3 months. How did you expect to feel when you've made a decision to stop because of work related drug testing? You have to accept when you stop using a mind altering substance you will feel different, but it will become a good different in time... detox teas are useless other than psychological effect. The psychological aspect of stopping is the hardest, but focusing and analysing isn't gonna make it easier.. acceptance of the now is better.. good luck. Stay strong.

best wishes
tokeless

Likes Received: 323

Postby Actualizing intent » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:48 pm

they say pot gives us the dopamine/ happy feeling and suppresses our natural dopamine. I guess it takes a while for the natural dopamine to come back, but it does eventually!
Actualizing intent

Likes Received: 16

Postby AugustNights89 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Thanks guys. I also questioned whether I would be clean within a few weeks. I'm going to get a home drug test just to be sure. As for the cravings they have gotten a lot stronger. I went to visit my grandma and my uncle (who takes care of her) was present and had a big bag in front of him. I almost gave in, its super easy. But when he said "i heard you quit smoking" I got the fuel to withstand temptation. I replied "yes i did. We all gotta grow up sometime." lol its funny now that I think of it. I dont look down at stoners because I wil always understand what a struggle it is to get away from such a bad habit.
AugustNights89

Likes Received: 1

Postby johnmckee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:45 pm

The numb feeling is normal. You are expending a lot of will power to not smoke, so it also depletes you. Typically this l worst during the first 30 days, and gets gradually better after 2 weeks. If you feel numb for a prolonged period of time, you may have been self-medicating depression or anxiety disorder with weed and should go to a doctor to determine if this is the case.

J
johnmckee

Likes Received: 6

Postby Salsa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:12 pm

I believe many users on this forum figured out that they have never had any anxiety issues before they've started smoking weed. How have we been self-medicating anxiety disorder therefore?
Salsa
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 59

Postby johnmckee » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 am

We are all unique individuals. Your situation will not be the identical to AugustNights99. Using 'we' is implying your situation is the same as all others here.

Marijuana can cause anxiety in some and relieve it in others. This can also be strain dependant (indica vs sativa).

There is research out there that shows people who smoke in their teens are more likely to suffer from anxiety issues in their twenties than those that don't.

Once size doesn't fit all. I know people who self-medicate with weed because its more effective for them than an Rx.

The purpose of my post was to say that this numb feeling is normal and is usually time bound...anything that doesn't go away after 60-90 days deserves to be given attention and reevaluated outside the scope of quitting.
johnmckee

Likes Received: 6

Postby Salsa » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:23 am

You might want to check through the forum and read real stories about people, who actually quit cannabis after a long, heavy use. Have you ever even heard about PAWS?

I was not implying my situation to be the same as of others. But many users have been going through identical, long-term problems. Uniqueness isn't the best argument here. We all have same brain chemistry, same receptors and we all consumed ridiculous amounts of marijuana.

Yes, some people recover sooner than others. But keep in mind that telling a person that "anything that doesn't go away after 60-90 days deserves to be given attention and reevaluated outside the scope of quitting" is neither scientifically nor experientially enhanced and thus being totally irresponsible. Many people experienced full recovery to take even up to 2 years after quit.
Salsa
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 59

Postby miami72fins » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:23 am

Hey guys I hope everyone is well,

I don't know if anybody will see this but I've been searching online regarding the dp/dr and marijuana topic for almost a year now. I have gained some relief knowing that I am not alone but am not completely satisfied in that I feel like I am the only one who has experienced dp in this manner.

Here's why:

My first time smoking was when I was a sophomore in high school. Heavy weed smoking did not happen until the end of my senior year. I stupidly continued this daily addictive habit until about three months ago, when I quit cold turkey ( I am 21 and a junior in college now) because it was and had been for a while doing me no good whatsoever. My main concern is, and has been for a while now, is ongoing continuous feelings of depersonalization. Before smoking weed, I always considered myself a very happy person with anxious tendencies in social situations only. However, as I continued to smoke weed I more and more felt feelings of unreality and depersonalization/derealization which really freaked me out. Stupidly, out of habit I continued to smoke for roughly another year and a half and tried my best to ignore these symptoms which I regret immensely.

Now, unlike pretty much every other case I have seen, I did not develop this feeling after a panic attack from one specific bad weed high. Rather, it was a gradual onset that I cannot exactly pinpoint. Do you think that this condition developed because of chronic weed smoking or was it independent of it? I am really worried that I ruined my life forever and really just want these feelings to go away and for me to live life like I did before I started heavily smoking. I really anticipate on never smoking again in an attempt to resurface my past happy and carefree self.

Thanks so much.

Best
Zach
miami72fins

Likes Received: 0

Postby endofdelta9 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:36 am

Zach

i had the same situation and i did not believe that it would get better but to my surprise it did (1 year and 5+ plus month)
you will be okay again it is only a question of time i did get back to how i felt before i smoked

to that natural good feeling and YOU will too it is all because of the MJ leaving your Body and it leaves the Body in many ways psychic and so on

you will be alright you will be

we all thought we ruined our LIFE for Good that is kind of typical MJ going out

Delta
endofdelta9

Likes Received: 36

Postby miami72fins » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:01 am

Hi Delta

Thanks so much for the reply it adds so much relief knowing people have recovered from this. So you don't think it is strange that my feelings of dp/dr happened not only after cessation but also during my heavy weed smoking time? Everybody seems to mention these feelings during marijuana withdrawal but not so much having these feelings even before they began withdrawal.

Zach
miami72fins

Postby endofdelta9 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:17 pm

first of all welcome Zach i have been helped on this forum too very much
do you know the Book the joy of quitting Cannabis by Chris Sullivan in there he says that one is actually on Withdrawal by becoming a habitual smoker so every time one smokes one comes down and need another one shortly there after ....

you are sensitive you picked up on that fact that Mj gives you all that while you smoke dp/dr and much more like euphoria paranoia and so on cause MJ is a tricky Drug so its all there while one is addicted to it but not every body realizes this except that many talk about quitting and have smoke to consider it......

Delta 9
endofdelta9

Postby miami72fins » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:32 am

That makes sense, nobody has really put it that way to me before. Weed is indeed such a complex drug it's a shame how it is taken so lightly by so many. I will absolutely check out that book for further comfort and assistance as I am sure that will benefit me during my recovery. Best of luck through your process as well. Thank you so much for your caring response

Best
Zach
miami72fins

Postby endofdelta9 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:38 pm

Dear Zach i am happy to make sense and help a bit

the Book by Chris Sullivan you can downloaded it it is quite amazing its he cure for sure so intelligent

i wish you the BEST
endofdelta9

Next