Tightness in chest,neck,throat,abdomen and high anxiety.

Postby syncmaster793s » Fri May 01, 2015 10:18 pm

Dear Friends,

I am having this anxiety where I have chest, neck,throat, back, abdomen tightness and discomfort where I find it hard to breathe and feel quite suffocated.

Then there is this specific cracking that I try to do on my own mostly where I move a little and breathe with efforts and attain that cracking in my chest and sometimes even in throat and thats when I am able to breathe in a relatively satisfactory manner, but only for a few, as the tighness and suffocation comes back.

This creates lightnheadedness and anxiety in me, I feel that the immediate surrounding is unreal at times, feel dizzy at times, feel drowsy at times in turn I am suffering from Mild depression which is sometimes(rarely) Moderate as well.

Kindly help with what is happening with me. Im currently clean from cannabis since 3 months and a week.

Thanks a lot guys. Cheers.
syncmaster793s

Likes Received: 1

Postby madera23 » Sat May 02, 2015 4:49 am

Have you seen a doctor?
madera23

Postby jenn_ » Sat May 02, 2015 8:00 am

Try to figure out what are causes of your anxiety.
Practicing relaxation can also help.
I would also suggest you see a doctor.
Good luck!
jenn_

Likes Received: 27

Postby kyrani99 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Do you find that you have shallower breaths when stressed?
kyrani99
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 19

Postby syncmaster793s » Sat May 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Hello Madera 23, I might go soon. Thanks a lot. Cheers
syncmaster793s

Postby syncmaster793s » Sat May 02, 2015 5:03 pm

Dear Jenn, I believe to understand the cause of the anxiety one Mau have to reach the subconscious in a harmonious way, which in such condition, I'm afraid is as good as impossible. I would see a doc soon. Big Thanks.
syncmaster793s

Postby syncmaster793s » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

Dear Kyrani99, Yes, absolutely. Thanks a lot. Cheers
syncmaster793s

Postby kyrani99 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:50 pm

syncmaster793s wrote:Dear Kyrani99, Yes, absolutely. Thanks a lot. Cheers

If you address the shallow breathing problem, you can significantly arrest the problem to the extent of saving your health.

There are two basic types of coping habits, which people use and which affect consciousness. One is to take deeper breaths and that way raise the metabolism. This has the effect of creating a lot of unnecessary brain activity so the consciousness of unpleasant ideas becomes discontinuous and the signals are therefore too weak to be conscious.

The other other way is what you do. If a person holds down their breaths every two or three breaths or breathes shallowly then they lower their metabolism and it is similar to the very early stages of falling asleep. There is a small amount of lethargy created and thus here again any unpleasant thoughts become too weak to be conscious.

Both methods create health issues.. The shallow breathing conflicts the lungs and the heart. The reason is because there is a fear component in anxiety that raises the metabolism. Both the heart and lungs get signals to go faster or breathe deeper. At the same time the shallow breathing, which lowers the metabolism, creates signals to the heart to beat slower. Thus both the lungs and the heart are getting mixed signals. The heart is getting signals to go fast and slow at the same time and the lungs are getting signals to breathe deeper and shallower at the same time.

Anxiety is not only fear but also worry. Worry also aims to lower the metabolism by sending signals to the heart to slow down. The reason is that worry involves circular thinking that is initiated because some necessary problem needs to be solved. If the person has insufficient information to solve the problem then circular thinking results. So the body tries to give the brain an advantage over the musculature for fuel materials and the best way to do this is to lower the metabolism. Unfortunately it adds to the problems for the heart and the lungs. Thus you end up with tightness in the chest etc. ..

It is possible for you to retrain your breathing and get rid of or lessen the habit by sleeping under a canopy with flaps hanging down on the sides or even better to put a large tent over your bed. What happens is that as you sleep the air around you becomes less rich in oxygen and more rich in carbon dioxide, not by a lot but enough to cause your body to need to take deeper breathes while asleep.

Thus for the six or eight hours while you are asleep you are retraining your breathing. It is an effortless way of retraining your breathing pattern but it does not produce instant results. You will see some improvement after a few weeks to a month but to get a good lasting effect you may need to do this for a few years or more.

I can also recommend that you do meditation. This process requires more effort and it doesn't have as significant effect in retraining your breathing except after many years but it does have a important effect in raising awareness/ consciousness. It helps you become aware of a problem before it becomes a problem. So it is worthwhile as an added treatment.

Start with just three or four minutes a day and increase it bit by bit as you feel comfortable to do. You need to make meditation a pleasurable experience so that you keep doing it. If you try to meditate for an hour at the start you may give up after the first day.
kyrani99
Preferred Member

Postby All in the mind » Sun May 03, 2015 9:06 pm

Check with your GP that there are no underlying medical issues.

Practise breathing techniques: http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-cardiff ... echniques/

These are common symptoms of anxiety and panic:
http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-cardiff.co.uk/anxiety/
http://www.clinicalhypnotherapy-cardiff ... c-attacks/
All in the mind
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 25

Postby syncmaster793s » Tue May 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Dear Kyrani,

I am suffering a lot with the tightness in chest and stomach thingy, it literally feels like if someone has tied my left ribs with a rope or something and it makes me feel super anxious. Anxious to such an extent where my consciousness is altered and i feel dizzy and feel dreamlike. It interferes in my smooth functioning to a Great extent.

I read what you wrote above. I have to Thank you a lot for the same. It is very indepth and brilliant.

Talking about the Circular thinking pattern resulting from worrying, I would like to ask you something on this below,
"So the body tries to give the brain an advantage over the musculature for fuel materials and the best way to do this is to lower the metabolism. Unfortunately it adds to the problems for the heart and the lungs. Thus you end up with tightness in the chest etc. .. "
You said the body tries to give the brain an advantage over the musculature for fuel materials.
I did not understand it 100% to be honest. :-) I hope you can clear me on this, because it is very important to me as you know. :-)

Talking about the way to retrain the breathing pattern, I will try to reduce the ventilation somehow soon.
And about meditation, I am about to look in to it. Just wondering which method should I opt for. (You can suggest me If you feel).

Big Thanks for everything . Cheers
syncmaster793s

Postby syncmaster793s » Tue May 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Dear All in the Mind,

I checked with my GP, he said, its All in the Mind. :-) lol

You think the above breathing techniques are great for such chest and abdominal tightness?
I will definitely check it out real soon. Hope to hear from you. Thanks. Cheers
syncmaster793s

Postby kyrani99 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 am

syncmaster793s wrote:You said the body tries to give the brain an advantage over the musculature for fuel materials.
I did not understand it 100% to be honest. :-) I hope you can clear me on this, because it is very important to me as you know. :-)

Anxiety has two main forms. One is fear AND worry. The other is fear AND anger. And added to that is the coping habit that the person employs to try and avoid the unpleasant thoughts.

Fear raises the metabolism significantly, which means the heart beats fast, the breathing is deepened and more rapid, the liver dumps glucose (simple form of sugar) into the bloodstream for the muscles (and all body cells) to use and there are many other processes that take place.

Worry lowers the metabolism because in serious thinking the brain needs to make more energy so it needs more fuel materials. Under normal circumstances the muscles use up a lot of glucose but if we are not engaged in a lot of thinking it doesn't matter.

If however the person needs to do some serious thinking then the brain will need more than normal amounts of glucose. If the person is active then there is competition for the glucose between the muscle cells and the brain. Thus if the person needs to do more serious thinking then the brain needs to get a greater supply. Part of the worry emotion is to bring the body down to resting metabolism. At resting metabolism the muscles only produce heat and a small amount of activity so they don't take up a lot of the glucose. So there is ample glucose for the brain.

If however there is fear as well as worry then the metabolism is being pushed to a high rate by the fear processes and pushed to a low rate by the worry processes at the same time. This causes problems for the vital organs. The heart is getting signals to go fast and slow at the same time. The lungs are getting signals to breath deep and shallow at the same time. So these organs are in conflict. This gives rise to many different symptoms and tightness in the chest and neck (due to the breathing tubes) and even in the abdomen because the diaphragm will also be affected. It is involved in the breathing process.

Dizziness can also be due to different things but low blood pressure (if dizzy on standing up ) or from deficient oxygen to the brain.

syncmaster793s wrote:Talking about the way to retrain the breathing pattern, I will try to reduce the ventilation somehow soon.

This is very powerful to retrain your breathing and very worthwhile.

syncmaster793s wrote:And about meditation, I am about to look in to it. Just wondering which method should I opt for. (You can suggest me If you feel).

Big Thanks for everything . Cheers

The easiest one is transcendental meditation but it will cost some money to learn. Basically it uses a sound as a mantra and uses it very effectively. You hear the sound in your mind, (you can generate your own) and let the sound fade away in your mind naturally. When it has faded you reintroduce the sound. You can use a gong to hear a sound and then use that sound. For instance hitting a very deep stainless steel bowl with a spoon wrapped a couple of times in a handkerchief to soften the sound can be used. Once you heard the sound you can recall it in mind. They have some made up words of sounds like eg "traaaring" You need to introduce the sound and let it fade away in your mind, which means it may take longer than what it would when you physically hit the bowl.

Zen meditation is also good. Most beginners are taught to use the breath because it is a constant. Don't try to force your breathing in any way, just simply observe the breath as it goes in and out, in what ever way it is. Your breathing will change by itself and become more subtle during meditation. All you need to do is be aware or observe the breaths.

Whatever type you use start small. A few minutes, then you can extend it. You can extend it using simple actions like washing your hands. Just be aware of the process and remain unconcerned by any thoughts that arise You can do this with all of the activities that don't require thinking, eg some cooking jobs, having a shower, taking a walk etc.

Other things.
see also this post viewtopic.php?t=92905
read what I told this person about keeping a thought diary. Thoughts count because the body is purpose-driven, which means any thoughts that are impressionable or beliefs can cause reactivity in the body. Once you see what thoughts may be problematic you can then follow up and see where they come from. Through close relationship we can perceive mentally, so you will find that some of those thoughts may be mental perceptions and particularly suggestions made by others.

Kyrani
kyrani99
Preferred Member

Postby Arne Pedersen » Fri May 08, 2015 11:34 pm

Yes, the person who asked if you have seen a doctor has good advice. It would be a good starting place to rule out any actual physical issues.

If that is good, and this is simply a by-product of not being able to handle and process what you feel, that is leading to high anxiety, tightness and difficulty breathing, then I suggest a mindfulness approach.

What I mean by this is to practice sitting every day in these feelings of uncomfortableness and allow them to be there. Breath into and through them and experience the physical sensations of them within your body. Your body is designed to feel and process emotion.

If it is anxiety, then these symptoms are likely in some way attributed by a past habit of not processing these emotions through your body. When this happens over time, the unexpressed emotions accumulate and can eventually become symptoms like you describe. Learning to accept and experience them through your body sensations will allow them to be processed, and then be released. When we resist, or try to avoid what we are feeling, we just pile that stuff up and eventually it will bust out through uncomfortable symptoms to get our attention.

Yes, this is very hard at first, and takes some time, but with effort and regular willingness they will release.

If this resonates with you give it a try for a few weeks and see how you feel.
Arne
Arne Pedersen

Likes Received: 7

Postby JuliusFawcett » Sun May 10, 2015 7:18 am

I used to get this and then I found meditation, it was so powerful that I made my own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9dA2P1bhc
JuliusFawcett

Likes Received: 552

Postby Harris44 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:03 am

Yeah, I also suggest you to figure out the causes of your anxiety. If you are not able to do that then do yoga in every morning. It’ll help you dear. But if you have been looking for quick and permanent solution then acupuncture is best for you. Visit this acupuncture Mississauga clinic to have your acupuncture therapy!
Harris44

Likes Received: 0