Unattainable Goals

Postby RiisMarshall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Hello Folks

This is my first post so please be gentle.

While doing research for my latest thriller I came up with a question nobody seems to be able to answer for me:

Within formal psychological terminology is there a name for a complex or syndrome that refers to somebody seeking a goal, whether it's money, power, notoriety or celebrity status, whatever they achieve is never going to be enough?

Here I'm not talking about somebody who is frustrated or otherwise prevented from achieving their goal, rather they are seeking an unattainable goal.

So, for example, the person who wants to be filthy rich but no matter how much money she or he acquires, will still seek more.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Warmest regards
Riis
RiisMarshall

Likes Received: 0

Postby finesse » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:33 pm

So, for example, the person who wants to be filthy rich but no matter how much money she or he acquires, will still seek more.

Hello.

I believe that the word addiction is very close to what you have described.

For example, I enjoy playing games. When I finish one I want to play another one. It's like an addiction because i'm always looking for more.
finesse

Likes Received: 3

Postby WonderGurl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:12 pm

RiisMarshall wrote:Within formal psychological terminology is there a name for a complex or syndrome that refers to somebody seeking a goal, whether it's money, power, notoriety or celebrity status, whatever they achieve is never going to be enough?

And is there anything wrong with attaining goals and wanting to attain even more? Is that not how all considerable achievements are made?
WonderGurl
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 136

Postby RiisMarshall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:32 pm

Hello WonderGurl

Thanks for your prompt response.

Sorry, I guess my question wasn't very clear:

This is not about value judgments about why - or whether - there is anything wrong with striving to attain difficult goals.

My question is whether within technical psychological terminology, there is a recognized complex or syndrome describing a person who is never satisfied with whatever goals she or he has ever achieved or will ever achieve.

My example, again, is somebody who is obsessed with obtaining huge amounts of money. How do we describe a person who will never be satisfied, no matter how much money she or he possesses?

My query is in connection with several characters in a thriller I'm writing: a politician who lusts after more and more popularity, an investment banker who lusts after more and more money, and a corporate raider who lusts after more and more power. And who, in all three cases, will never have 'enough'.

Warmest regards
Riis
RiisMarshall

Postby quietvoice » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:36 pm

Insecurity.
quietvoice

Likes Received: 234

Postby WonderGurl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:47 pm

I call it ambition.
WonderGurl
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 136

Postby RiisMarshall » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Hello Folks

Thanks for all your help.

We're not quite there yet. What I'm looking for is the clinical term a psychologist might use to describe this drive toward unattainable goals.

Warmest regards
Riis
RiisMarshall

Postby JuliusFawcett » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:02 am

This is the nightmare of egoic thought patterns, never satisfied, life is all wretch and no vomit. Being satisfied is a choice.
JuliusFawcett

Likes Received: 552

Postby Wildcard » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:29 am

Wildcard
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 22

Postby RiisMarshall » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:15 pm

Hello Wildcard et al.

Problem solved: the information on the link you provided was exactly what I was looking for. It's even given my some ideas about possible titles for my thriller.

Thank you all very much.

Warmest regards
Riis
RiisMarshall

Return to Psychology