hypnosis self-sustainability

Postby bleedingvalue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:52 pm

Can some hypnosis suggestions be self sustainable? It's been said that post hypnotic suggestions wear off up to 20 years after it's been implanted, but I suppose it adhers to specific triggers, unusual instructions (??) etc. But isn't it that with for example self confidence someone see that he is confident after one particularly succesful session and it just sustains itself and lasts forever?
bleedingvalue

Likes Received: 1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:24 pm

bleeding value wrote:.. isn't it that with for example self confidence someone see that he is confident after one particularly succesful session and it just sustains itself and lasts forever?

It lasts until the person stops believing. Self confidence is a bit tricky as it is subjective, like being happy. Given most people go through ups and downs in life and face challenges with which they are more or less confident, the lasting impact will vary on the belief of the individual.

A more concrete example is a baseball player that goes under hypnosis to play better. As long as the player continues getting hits and not making errors the player believes. As soon as he strikes out or drops a ball, the spell is broken.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1136

Postby Phil_B » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:25 am

I would personally anchor something like confidence into their breathing pattern, so whenever they get nervous and they even begin becoming stressed or anxious, they would automatically find the stress subside and an inner confidence and calmness take hold.

And yes, it can be self-sustainable, as long as the stimulus you're anchoring into is frequent enough for the self-sustaining suggestion to become permanent over time. You can bind into brushing ones teeth, washing ones hands, or anything else. It doesn't matter if it's related to your suggestion or not, as long as it's something the person repeats all the time, and notices consciously (so breathing won't work most of the time, nor won't walking -- I've tried).

That said, I generally avoid self-sustaining suggestions, and instead address any issue I'm dealing with directly. It takes a bit more time, but it's definitely a better thing to do in the long run, since it removes the random factor of circumstance in the process.

There is entirely no reason for you to go with rote repetition on the anchor or suggestions unless the issue is sensitive and requires a lot of care.

And even then you would probably not want to reduce the whole process into one suggestion, but would rather make just one part of the process in a self-sustaining way, to pace it over time.

All in all, all of this is completely redundant because you can just delegate things to the unconscious.
Phil_B

Likes Received: 1

Postby Anthony Jacquin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:10 am

bleedingvalue wrote:Can some hypnosis suggestions be self sustainable? It's been said that post hypnotic suggestions wear off up to 20 years after it's been implanted, but I suppose it adhers to specific triggers, unusual instructions (??) etc. But isn't it that with for example self confidence someone see that he is confident after one particularly succesful session and it just sustains itself and lasts forever?

Hi,

Where was it said that post-hypnotic suggestions wear off after 20 years?

Sounds like guesswork at best and nonsense at worst.

Also sounds good enough doesn't it :)

Belief is not required for suggestions to take hold or for them to be sustained.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Likes Received: 6

Postby HypnoMorpheusDreamer » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:25 am

bleedingvalue wrote:Can some hypnosis suggestions be self sustainable? It's been said that post hypnotic suggestions wear off up to 20 years after it's been implanted, but I suppose it adhers to specific triggers, unusual instructions (??) etc. But isn't it that with for example self confidence someone see that he is confident after one particularly succesful session and it just sustains itself and lasts forever?

All your life you have taken suggestions, and some of those suggestions have stayed all of those years...

And some are bad.

Or, counterproductive to your growth a human being. Better term then "bad".

Anything that puts you in a very focused state puts you in a sort of hypnotic trance. Maybe someone yelling at you when you were a kid. Maybe a really engaging book that deeply changed your viewpoints. Or movie. Or music event. Or whatever.

"Hypnosis" is the art which is about taking more control over that. Many suggestions you can give yourself there, or receive may work right away - depending on the intensity of the trance, the intensity of how well it works - but do, naturally, wear off. Without really well crafted instructions for the future.

This is for your own safety. Say a teacher pulled you up and said you were "stupid". It impacted you very deeply. You believed it. You only saw them and your own self. But, then, you go home, or do things which prove you actually are not stupid. So that suggestion wears off.

Confidence is very variable. Confident about what? Just about your own self? But, in what way? I am not very confident in my abilities to sail a yacht, but I am kind of confident in my abilities to sail a small sailboat. I have never sailed a yacht before, but I have had a number of hours sailing a small sailboat.

I am pretty confident in my social skills in many situations, but not in all.

And so on.

I am very confident in areas I have put enormous, intelligent work in and have consistently yielded good returns. I plant the seeds, till the ground, and have done that over and over again. But, while I might know all about farming watermelons, I may not be so confident about apple tree farming.

And so on.
HypnoMorpheusDreamer

Likes Received: 7