How to judge a people?

Postby Kiruba Murugesh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:04 pm

I spend most of my time for searching how to judge people by their appearence. But I didn't get perfect answer.

Is their any possiblity to judge the people by their appearence?

Waiting for your reply. Thank you.
Kiruba Murugesh

Likes Received: 1

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:21 pm

You can judge how tall they are. You can judge if they have two arms or one. You might be able to judge if they belong to a certain group, e.g. if they have a tattoo of a unicorn you can judge that they probably like unicorns. You cannot judge their beliefs or values, but you can make an educated guess.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1082

Postby Algorithm » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Most people have preconceived notions. Some people attempting to debunk precognition claim that the psychics simply read people. I had an open session in which I was the only individual in the room associated with higher intelligence.. That I could be an astronomer, anything was possible for this "boy". Nobody took it seriously, yet they didn't explain how a supposed psychic could discern that I was the gifted one, in pure intelligence. Every other person in the group had everyday life readings. Pretty interesting.
Algorithm

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:06 am

Algorithm wrote: Nobody took it seriously, yet they didn't explain how a supposed psychic could discern that I was the gifted one, in pure intelligence. Every other person in the group had everyday life readings. Pretty interesting.

And how did you discern that you were more gifted, intellectually speaking, than all the other people in the group?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Mephestic » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:14 am

I'm assuming the psychic in question realised he was a sceptic and probably played to his ego to counter this. A sceptic is likely to stand in a group thinking they know better than the group I imagine.
Mephestic

Postby Algorithm » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:30 am

Richard@DecisionSkills wrote:
Algorithm wrote: Nobody took it seriously, yet they didn't explain how a supposed psychic could discern that I was the gifted one, in pure intelligence. Every other person in the group had everyday life readings. Pretty interesting.

And how did you discern that you were more gifted, intellectually speaking, than all the other people in the group?

If you knew me personally, you wouldn't ask that question. He talked to a girl giggling over potentially becoming a mother, some other woman in there he said had ADH (to which her friend looked at her). He told a man that he was emotional and being used by other people. "Too nice."

Then he moved to me and we were directly in the intelligence discussion. Could easily work as a poltical consultant (imitated me speaking, which was hilarious) astronomer, strong gift with words and rhetoric.

I cannot say that I was the most intelligent in there (well I can, but that wouldn't mean much without proof), but he did pick me out as one of the gifted ones and that was accurate and interesting in and of itself. I did not know that one could see that I am gifted. He also knew it had to do with verbal intelligence, words, concepts. Though there was no mentioned of it specifically, he did say no tools - using my mind alone (I am a philosophy undergraduate). Recounted that my grandfather was evil and laughed at my mother when she was a kid (my father threw my mother in the water and laughed at her freaking out). She had several traumas in her childhood from his alchol abuse. He demolished her mothers house with an axe. My grandfather has long since passed away. But he was pretty evil.
Algorithm

Postby Algorithm » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:39 am

Mephestic wrote:I'm assuming the psychic in question realised he was a sceptic and probably played to his ego to counter this. A sceptic is likely to stand in a group thinking they know better than the group I imagine.

That's not a bad theory. But we all sat quiet, so it couldn't apply.
Algorithm

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:07 am

Algorithm wrote: If you knew me personally, you wouldn't ask that question. He talked to a girl giggling over potentially becoming a mother, some other woman in there he said had ADH (to which her friend looked at her). He told a man that he was emotional and being used by other people. "Too nice."

Then he moved to me and we were directly in the intelligence discussion.

...he did say no tools - using my mind alone (I am a philosophy undergraduate).

You may want to rethink what it means to be "intelligent".

Nothing of what you described disqualifies any of those people as being any less an intellectual than yourself. I'm not saying you are wrong, rather what you have described is irrelevant. Giggling over motherhood or having ADHD or being "too nice" are not correlated with a lack of intelligence.

But most important, your thought process that there is a positive relationship between "no tools" and being an intellectual is simply misplaced. Some of the greatest minds in history worked with tools. Leonardo daVinci, Nikola Tesla, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin are just a few. Even the philosopher kings as proposed by Plato were to come from a minimum of 30 years experience working in the trades.

Bottom line, I understand how being a philosophy undergraduate biases how you perceive what is or is not "intellectual". In a few years as you move from undergraduate into academia it will be interesting to see how your views regarding what is intelligence evolves. At least I would hope it evolves. If it doesn't, then you need to sue the school and get your money back.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby Algorithm » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:22 am

Algorithm wrote: If you knew me personally, you wouldn't ask that question. He talked to a girl giggling over potentially becoming a mother, some other woman in there he said had ADH (to which her friend looked at her). He told a man that he was emotional and being used by other people. "Too nice."

Then he moved to me and we were directly in the intelligence discussion.

...he did say no tools - using my mind alone (I am a philosophy undergraduate).

You may want to rethink what it means to be "intelligent".

Nothing of what you described disqualifies any of those people as being any less an intellectual than yourself. I'm not saying you are wrong, rather what you have described is irrelevant. Giggling over motherhood or having ADHD or being "too nice" are not correlated with a lack of intelligence.

But most important, your thought process that there is a positive relationship between "no tools" and being an intellectual is simply misplaced. Some of the greatest minds in history worked with tools. Leonardo daVinci, Nikola Tesla, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin are just a few. Even the philosopher kings as proposed by Plato were to come from a minimum of 30 years experience working in the trades.

Bottom line, I understand how being a philosophy undergraduate biases how you perceive what is or is not "intellectual". In a few years as you move from undergraduate into academia it will be interesting to see how your views regarding what is intelligence evolves. At least I would hope it evolves. If it doesn't, then you need to sue the school and get your money back.

I never claimed that working without tools is a prerequisite for intelligence. I am saying that it is an accurate description of my intelligence. You don't seem to be very smart yourself, sorry to say
Algorithm

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:33 am

Algorithm wrote:I never claimed that working without tools is a prerequisite for intelligence. I am saying that it is an accurate description of my intelligence. You don't seem to be very smart yourself, sorry to say

I don't claim to be intelligent. In fact, I am acutely aware of both your lack and my lack of intelligence. I'm not really worried about it, as I do not define myself in this manner. You are the one that considers this somehow important.

Now, if you are truly an undergraduate in philosophy then that expressly places you at a particular level, much the same as being a novice in chess or a grand master are different levels. Therefore there are certain areas, such as psychology and philosophy that I hold vast amounts of knowledge greater than you. That doesn't make me more intelligent, it only means I have more knowledge. And you will get there if you continue the path of seeking more knowledge and with greater knowledge comes wisdom and the ability to see flaws in your thinking. No big deal.

My main point here is you really need to rethink what it means to be intelligent. This thread is about judging people and you seem to believe that via the words of a psychic and factors completely unrelated to intelligence, e.g. giggling, that you are a capable judge.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby bert_ernie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:46 am

hmm maybe the psychic sensed that your ego would be immensely flattered if he said you were intelligent. so he told you what you wanted to hear. which could show some level of vision on his part to detect that weakness in you. but then again maybe most people have that weakness.
bert_ernie

Likes Received: 91

Postby Kiruba Murugesh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:35 pm

Thank you for your reply guys
Kiruba Murugesh

Postby Algorithm » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:08 pm

Algorithm wrote:I never claimed that working without tools is a prerequisite for intelligence. I am saying that it is an accurate description of my intelligence. You don't seem to be very smart yourself, sorry to say

I don't claim to be intelligent. In fact, I am acutely aware of both your lack and my lack of intelligence.

Speak for yourself. On the subject matter: It's well known that the paranormal does not attract the most intelligent people in the world. I am the smartest person in the room by sheer probability alone. Not to mention that an average philosophy graduate has an estimated IQ of 129. Note that your precious psychology degree is close to the bottom, but at least you beat out social workers.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-estima ... ege-major/
Algorithm

Postby Algorithm » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:15 pm

Heres's one more: intended graduate, displaying the awesome analytical skills of psychology majors:

http://www.ncsu.edu/chass/philo/GRE%20S ... 0Major.htm
Algorithm

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:31 pm

Algorithm wrote:On the subject matter: It's well known that the paranormal does not attract the most intelligent people in the world. I am the smartest person in the room by sheer probability alone. Not to mention that an average philosophy graduate has an estimated IQ of 129.

Do you not see the absolutely GIGANTIC flaw in your logic?

As a philosophy student, have you taken a course in formal logic yet? Go back through the thread, develop the premises that exist in what you previously wrote and then apply logic. According to you, a psychic confirmed you are intelligent. Now you say, the paranormal does not attract the most intelligent people. Any logic alarm bells going off yet?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Next