I hate my mother-in-law right now

Postby LittleMissScrewup » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Today, my MIL called for an appointment for me to see a psychiatrist. I am very frustrated because it is tomorrow morning, and I have things to do. I don't trust these idiots because they are either just as useless as Dr. Nick, or they'll send me to a psych ward due to my self-harming habits. All I want is a book to help me, not a freaking quack! It also feels to me that my whole family, including my husband, is either forcing me into some kind of cult, or wanting to get away from me. Is there any way out of this??
LittleMissScrewup

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Yes. You can leave. No one can force you to go to an appointment.

The only person stopping you is you. You, and only you, can say that you can't because (insert excuse here). Some of the excuses are harder to accept the others. For instance the excuse, "I'm married" therefore I cannot leave or I must go to the appointment.

Fact is, you control you. If you don't want to do something, don't.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1103

Postby WonderGurl » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 pm

To zone in on the most obvious issue... you're self harming, so you need help. It's a symptom of some complex psychological problems. What your MIL doesn't realise is that you cannot be helped unless you want and seek help yourself. So, here you are giving out yards, yet you will either go in to the appointment tomorrow and not do the work, or go in and feign doing the work, or not go in at all. Neither of those is going to achieve any positive results. All in all, your MIL is wasting her time trying to get you to get help and you are in denial about the severity of your issues.
WonderGurl
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 136

Postby JuliusFawcett » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:48 am

What's your gut instinct telling you to do?
JuliusFawcett

Likes Received: 552