1 Year Weed Free

Postby lmcbride » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Wow guys, I didn't even realize it but 2 days ago I hit a full YEAR clean from weed :) After 10 years of use, I never thought I would make it this far and wow my life has changed so much!

I'm more outgoing, more social, more efficient at work, and honestly more in touch with myself than I ever thought was even possible.

I literally thought my life was over those first 3 months. The initial PAWS were pure hell and I never want to go through that again that's for sure...

To any of you struggling in the first year of quitting, take it 1 day at a time. Change comes slowly but is still there you just have to be patient. Eat well, exercise, meditate, do whatever makes you feel good

I want to give a BIG Thanks to so many of you- Wave, Johnrlivingston, endofdelta9, etc. who kept me going.

I'm still not 100% recovered, but I'm sure in another year this will all be a distant memory.

I'd love to hear from those in their 2nd or 3rd years clean and see how you are doing vs your first year clean.

Keep up the fight everyone!
lmcbride

Likes Received: 69

Postby JoeBloggs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:37 pm

great news. i haven't smoked/vaped weed since night before Fri Jul 24, 2015 so just over a year.
JoeBloggs
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 51

Postby Julia Stretton » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 pm

lmcbride wrote:Wow guys, I didn't even realize it but 2 days ago I hit a full YEAR clean from weed :)

Hooray! :D

Julia Stretton
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 71

Postby Ananda_M » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Great guys :!:
Ananda_M

Likes Received: 12

Postby netty28661 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:46 am

Hi imcbride,
I've been clean4 & a half years now. I would say that my first 8 - 9 months was hideous with PAWS, awful depression, anxiety, aches, pains & god knows what else. At a year clean I was much better, however looking back it was nothing in comparison with the 2nd & 3rd years. It's only when you look aback that you see the massive improvement you go through. I would say I'm back to whatever Irremember as my normal, I also used for 10 years.

The things that helped me recover & I still do both is exercise, fortunately I love it - I go to the gym & do both weights & resistance work aswell as alot of cardio (which helps with stress & generallymakes me feel great), | cycle, swim & have taken up indoor climbing (i'm 55). I think taking on new challenges is very important. Prior to starting exercising 4 yrs ago I hadn't done any for many years.

I'm very very happy with my life, using weed is no longer an issue.

I was only thinking the other night how wretched using weed made me feel, I would cry because I was so desperate to stop & it took quite a few attempts. I'm so grateful that I finally found the strength to do it, if I can anyone can!!!!!

Well done & you will keep improving.

Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 58

Postby urreacp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Congratulations on 1 year!! That's a huge step. I hope you're really proud of yourself. I'm also glad that you are noticing the good changes that are coming. Keep that strength up!
urreacp

Likes Received: 9

Postby lmcbride » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for all of the kind words everyone, it means a lot to me!

Glad to see you guys are doing well.

I look at some of my friends who are still toking daily and it bums me out because I know I was once like that. Just letting life pass you by as opposed to taking control of it.

I've actually got 2 of my friends to quit as well and they are so happy.
lmcbride

Likes Received: 69

Postby Dbanfiel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:06 pm

It's nice to read something upbeat on here and I can't wait to get to a year mark. Things for me have improved and I am 14 weeks quit of weed. Right now, increased heart rate has me concerned. I was curious if anyone else had experienced that. I really don't notice it unless I'm resting or laying watching TV. I'm at 90 BPM.
Dbanfiel

Likes Received: 4

Postby slick_willy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:24 am

Yeah dbanfiel I had super anxiety during my early quit and my heart would always race. I took anxiety meds cuz they helped but have since stopped taking them. I'm at 8 months now and the anxiety is WAY LESS almost 0 most of the time. I get self conscious still and brain foggy but not so much anxiety. Hang in there man and it'll pass.

You already know this but meditation, exercise, diet, and no caffeine will help a lot.
slick_willy

Likes Received: 56

Postby Dbanfiel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:52 pm

I haven't smoked in 15 weeks now and I am going through is terribly. I spent a majority of the weekend crying. I went to the doctor on Saturday to tell him about the Xanax i use to sleep and he prescribed Ambien. It didn't work, I tried it for two nights. I am literally freaking out.

I am working to make an appointment with a psychologist. I am strongly considering taking Anti-depressants but i am obviously concerned they will mess me up for life or prolong my current situation. I can't imagine I can go on living this way.

How do people get any sleep? I really don't see that mentioned on this forum. Will I ever get better? 15 weeks seems like a long time and it is difficult to tell if I am making any progress. the anxiety and emotions out of nowhere are going to be the end of me.
Dbanfiel

Postby netty28661 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:25 pm

Hi Db, believe me sleep is a massive issue for many quitting weed. It drove me to distraction & I thought I would go mad. I did end up going to see my doc who prescribed an anti depressant, this did help my sleep a bit but made me feel pretty rough. I tried SO MANY different things to help my sleep, nothing helped for a while. It does get better - honest, but it takes time & patience, unfortunately it's hellish & may last months! I went as far as getting CBT from a counsellor, didn't help. All I can advise is exercise, meditate, eat well & YOU WILL get better, honest.

You might need to give yourself 12 months, I know at the moment that sounds like an eternity, but whats the alternative??? Its worth the effort in the end. I quit nearly 5 years ago & never been better!

Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 58

Postby Dbanfiel » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks janette. Those words of encouragement mean more than you know. I keep second guessing if this is paws. I appreciate everyone be telling me I will get better but how does anyone know? I'm so scared and terrified. Most days are excruciating just to get through
Dbanfiel

Postby Dbanfiel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:32 pm

I am almost 18 weeks abstinenent of pot. It's been such a roller coaster. My therapist thinks I have generalized anxiety disorder. I keep moving back and forth between that and paws. I'm undecided as to what I have. Will I see more improvements soon? I just need support. Would smoking pot make me feel better? I was much happier when I was smoking. The depression and anxiety are really weighing on me.
Dbanfiel

Postby Ananda_M » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:45 am

Hello, 18 months is a lot, good job! It is hard to say whether it will get better by itself. Are you working on other aspects of life? As I read here on this forum, it should get better. It is very convoluted and I'm not psychotherapist , BUT...

I think smoking weed can really mess our lives when we do not see it. After quit, we get super black view and this can be very paralysing and messing our life more and more. After some time, the "chemistry" and also our (newly) learned behaviour can get us on the better track. However, everyone is different, everyone has different environment and people arround.

So my answer should sound "hopefully" - if you can see improvements along the time, then definitely yes - this MUST continue.

Dbanfiel wrote:Would smoking pot make me feel better? I was much happier when I was smoking.

Here, I'm almost 100% sure - DEFINITELY NOT. Can you remember also the bad part of weed? Try to remember... It can make you feel better for short term, but you know what can follow if you will smoke a lot. And to be honest, what is "a lot" for us, who smoked massively in the past? I would not try, I am scared of it, seriously.

To sum up - do you see improvement during last months?
Anyway, I wish you calm holidays and better everything, be cool!
Ananda_M

Likes Received: 12

Postby Dbanfiel » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:44 pm

Just to clarify, I am only 18 weeks, not months. But thank you for taking the time out to write me a nice response. I appreciate that more than you know.

At the moment, there is no doubt my life was better when I was smoking. But if i knew it was going to improve through my abstinence, I will stick with it.
Dbanfiel

Next